Freeze for about 10 secs on startup

amewsaj

On my vista 32bit Home Premium, the Programming Editor freezes for about 10-15 secs on startup. I see the main window, the untitled document and the splash. Buttons at the top appears AFTER the freeze.

I am using the USB -> Serial connector bought on techsupplies site.

Tried upgrading to latest editor, no change.

Known issue? Ideas?

PS: No problems with the same setup on my XP machine.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I've only limited experience with Vista but I have seen similar problems with XP and other applications as well as the Programming Editor. In those cases it was virtual serial ports ( USB, Bluetooth and via-TCP/IP redirectors ) or shared network drives which were causing the delay; Windows tries to open the port / drive, the drivers wait until they timeout, and that all adds up to slow start-up time. It may be worth checking those areas and seeing how other terminal emulators behave when starting up.

tjetson

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and the Programming Editor works fine for me. I have version 5.2.2 of the Editor

benryves

I've had this problem on XP and Vista, and in both cases it was due to Bluetooth. Every time you pair a new Bluetooth device you're likely to gain a handful of new virtual COM ports, and as hippy explained enumerating these slows down the loading of the software (opening and closing the options dialog should trigger another freeze).

If this is the problem you can remove old Bluetooth COM ports that you do not need by going into the "Bluetooth Devices" control panel, clicking "Bluetooth Settings" in the toolbar, selecting the "COM Ports" tab then highlighting ports and clicking "Remove".

PICAXE Programming Editor now loads in a couple of seconds rather than the 30 seconds it used to take on my PC!

westaust55

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and the Programming Editor works fine for me. I have version 5.2.2 of the Editor
@Tjetson,
You really should upgrade to V5.2.7 of the Programming Editor.
While many of the recent changes were to handle the new X2 chips, there have also been a number of other general bug fixes. Upgrading your PE to the latest version could help you avoid dilemmas and the post “my program doesn’t do . . . . .” at a future date.