FPU model? Beta status? Licence expiry?

geoff07

Having bought a copy of VSM recently I have managed to build a model and I think the whole system is brilliant. But it isn't that easy to get started so the samples are absolutely essential. However, I have a few questions, which will help me appreciate what I can do with it:

According to About ISIS, I have an update subscription expiry date in 2009. What happens then? I can find no reference to expiry in the promotional material.

I note that the price is much less than the commercial price, what are the limitations?

I thought I bought a released product but I then find references to a beta. Am I using a beta or not? I do appreciate that this is early in the development. If it is a beta, is there a 'known issues' list?

I am trying to include some floating point calcs in a controller (celestial mechanics to control an antenna) and am looking at the uM fpu as mentioned on the picaxe website. I can't find this in VSM, is it available or likely to become available?

Finally, X2 parts are mentioned all over the picaxe documentation, but when you come to order them they aren't available. When is the release date?

Just to repeat that this is a brilliant system and the combination with picaxe is outstanding.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I cannot answer your VSM questions but the X2's are scheduled for release this "summer", sometime before the end of September.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We wil be uploading the VSM v1.0.0 this week.

When you purchase VSM it inludes free updates for 1 year e.g. when the X2 parts are released later this year you will be eligible for the X2 update patch. After 1 year the software keeps working for ever, but if you wanted to download any new updates after that date there is a renewal fee (£15)

PICAXEVSM works with PICAXE chips / BASIC only. The Professional version can work with other systems aswell e.g. PICs programmed in assembler. There are also some extra advanced features available such as graph traces.

The um FPU is not simulated.

geoff07

Thanks for the clarifications. Pity about the fpu, but perhaps the uM IDE and the materials on their site may be sufficient. There must be a lot of busy people in Rev-Ed land with all these new products coming out.