forum Search function not always working?

kranenborg

Hello,

In almost all cases the forum search function seems to work properly (also with combinations of words), but there are a few exceptions: i cannot search the forum for I2C or SPI (no hits found), and maybe there are other words as well. Another strange thing is that if I search successfully on some keyword, I can then do the same search with the same keyword + I2C and then getting exactly the same amount of hits. Somehow the search function dislikes I2C, SPI etc. What are experiences on this forum?

Regards,
Jurjen

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The forum is setup to only search on words of 4 letters or more. This is due to search engine optimisation - otherwise it caches lots of small words like 'and' 'it' 'a' 'the' etc. and becomes much, much slower.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Is it not possible to just cache/index selected three character words ? The world of computing and electronics is full of three letter acronyms ( that even gets its own - TLA ) which would be very desirable to search on - ADC, DAC, I2C, LCD, LED, PWM, RAM, SPI etc, plus PICAXE variants, 08M etc.

lbenson

Neary 30 years ago I worked with Library of Congress indexing code with used an "exclude" list for "a", "and", "the", etc.--probably easier than setting up an "include" list which would have to be updated for each new acronym ("TLA") that is invented.