Forum performance issues?

JimPerry

The forum was down for a while last week - but I have been getting a lot of "Waiting for Active .." messages recentlty - is it just my system or is anyone else getting the same problem? :confused:

PS: Win7 pro 64-bit 16GB Dual twin core CPUs IE 10

Last edited:

Dippy

Me too.
Initial page comes up quick. Navigation thereafter is often very slow - up to 20 seconds albeit completely unpredicatable.
Win 8.1 with IE10 or Firefox. Numerous options ticked and unticked, no change.
Perfect until (I think) last week.
All other sites nice and snappy - just this one.

I'm glad you mentioned it Jim, I thought it was just me.

PS. (Edit Post) Needless to say this reply went through at the speed of light just to disprove me :)

tony_g

i have also been getting this a lot lately, granted normally about 3 am when i should be in bed sleeping instead lol but it does seem to happen quite frequently often with a message saying it cant connect to picaxe forum or page unavailable ect, no problems getting other websites to connect just this one.

binary1248

No problem for me in the USA. I get on this a lest once a day and no slowdowns for me, and I'm on phone line DSL..

wapo54001

For me, increasingly slow response has been noticeable for quite some time but has now turned into frequently no response at all. It feels like software somewhere on the forum or Picaxe website has stopped working. These days sometimes I have to click on the forum two or three times before it finally responds. But when it does finally appear it's virtually instantaneous after a second or third click, as though it was sitting there ready to go but not finishing until getting multiple clicks. Forum searches take much longer now, too.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It feels like software somewhere on the forum or Picaxe website has stopped working
The software and website are fine. Unfortunately, like almost all popular web forums, we are getting more and more attacks from China based spamming servers onto the new registration page, often several thousand requests a minute.
None of these fake registration attempts get through due to our deliberately tough registration process, but they just slow down system response at times.

We ban known IP addresses as we can, but new ones just pop up a few days later. We are actively looking at other methods to try and resolve this.

wapo54001

We ban known IP addresses as we can, but new ones just pop up a few days later. We are actively looking at other methods to try and resolve this.
Thank you for the reply, that answer did not occur to me. What an ugly situation; I hope you find a solution.

Hemi345

Thank you for the reply, that answer did not occur to me. What an ugly situation; I hope you find a solution.
Seems this is an issue again the last couple days as it took me literally 3 minutes to post something. I just don't understand the point in what these people are trying to do by attacking forums and sites such as these. Banks and public utility companies - I guess I can understand, but an educational hobby site?? Probably that rude forum user that had trouble with the hard reset procedure has some 'friends'...

Hemi345

Nice and fast again :) The attackers must have finished downloading some Sony movies and are busy watching those now.

John West

I couldn't even get to the site this morning.

Hang in there, Technical. We'll work around the Chinese spammers.

I've been expecting to see a serious trade war with the Chinese at some point in the future. Perhaps it's drawing near.

Goeytex

As of 8:15 CST I am still having problems, not just with this site but with a few others as well. I suspect it may be more than just spammers. Like John I've been expecting "trade war". But also seemingly random Internet shutdowns, brownouts, covert and overt intrusions, etc as governments and other entities seek to seize control the Internet, censor content, spy on citizens, invade privacy, tax usage, ...basically take it away from "we the people".

Control the flow and content of information and you can control the people.

I hope is is only "spammers" this time.

oracacle

One site I use make use of a fake country flag beginning with a as most attached attacks of this type normally just select the first country, that is then combined with answering a question, in that case the meaning of life and everything from hitch hikers guide. Most automated hacking systems don't have the answer

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
One site I use make use of a fake country flag beginning with a as most attached attacks of this type normally just select the first country, that is then combined with answering a question, in that case the meaning of life and everything from hitch hikers guide. Most automated hacking systems don't have the answer
That stops them registering and being able to post, we do similar. But it doesn't help when you get several thousand simultaneous attempts at registering all at the same time, its the sheer volumes of requests on the server that causes the delays, even when all those request fails. We will have additional protection in place soon to help this.