Forum Notifications (PM's)

Haku

I got a PM recently but only just today noticed it because I very rarely get them and the Notifications link at the top of the page doesn't exactly scream "YOU'VE GOT A NEW MESSAGE!!!" when you do get one.

Can the forum be configured so the Notifications link blinks or sends you an email?

I read the message then navigated away to find out a bit of information, but then when I went back to the Notifications the message I received wasn't there. Where did it go?

I forgot the username of whoever contacted me, if they're reading, check out this page for wiring up the sensor: http://wiring.org.co/learning/basics/airqualitymq135.html

inglewoodpete

I have to agree on the modesty of the PM alert: I've missed seeing then too. I imagine that is a Vbulletin thing but I'd like to see a bright, flashing or irregular shaped alert so that it attracts my attention.

You can reach your inbox via the drop-down arrow next the Notifications link. I also struggled to find my inbox for a while. Perhaps we're both in the same age group?

Haku

A flashing gif or the old <blink> tag (that was very popular a very long time ago when everyone used it on their free Geocities webpages) for the Notifications link would certainly be welcome.

I still had the drop-down link available on this laptop browser so I clicked it and it goes to a "Visitor Message" page which turns out is actually on your "My Profile" page, completely separate from your Inbox. So that means there are two separate message systems on this board?

nick12ab

Press Settings to the right of the Notifications drop-down, then General Settings at the left side of the page you come to.

sedeap

The attachment looks great. Now can someone hint at where I can find my options page like that?:rolleyes:
Top Right " Settings" then My account settings ...
see attachment 2

C U pal...

VBulletin-General Settings-.jpg

Usually Generals don't like follow orders from non-militar people, but you're the BOSS, so, face the General, HIT IT and make obey you...
Oh!... What General?... Of course... the "General " Settings... LOL;););)

Last edited:

Dippy

Haku, are you referring to the "Notifications" dark writing on the grey background box.
I agree, it is not exactly in-your-face and seems like a lack of common-sense.
I mentioned it way back:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?18866-Welcome-to-the-updated-forum/page13&highlight=dark
Post #126.

I daresay this is beyond Rev-Ed's control and TELLING a software company (VBulletin not Rev-Ed) about a suggested modification is like moving a mountain. They always know best.

Sometimes, maybe when you don't have time to trawl emails, a CLEAR notification is good. The previous Forum had a notification pop-up I seem to remember, I can't remember any pop-ups on this one (?). In any event, the solution is simple for VBulletin, but there we go; flash before function.

nick12ab

It seems that there is now an in-your-face message box! I got a PM and it asked if I wanted to view it, and whether I wanted to do so in a new window or the same window.

sedeap

OOOooohhhhhhhhh....

It seems that there is now an in-your-face message box! I got a PM and it asked if I wanted to view it, and whether I wanted to do so in a new window or the same window.
Sound like the "General" start to obey... LOL

Haku

@nick12ab, that's great news!

But I'll probably have to wait another 6 months before I get to see it for myself :D

John West

I'm among those in that "certain" age group. I didn't notice I had my first PM message for 6 months or so after joining the forum. In fact, it took me that long to notice that there was such a thing on the forum. By then it was a bit outdated.

Those who were raised on the "printed page" manner of thinking tend to forget that there are whole worlds of info hidden behind tiny little screen icons or bits of colored text. It's an entirely different way of thinking about it.

It took me several minutes to get rid of an annoying pop-up information screen in one program because I didn't know the correct procedure to do so, and there were no on-screen clues as to what to do to get rid of the blurb. Turns out, the "procedure" was to click on it.

My generation said, "Don't touch it unless you know what you're doing. You could break it if you're not careful." This generation was raised on "Just click on it and see what happens." An entirely different POV, perhaps brought about by ever increasing care in safety engineering and consumer product "idiot-proofing."

What is "intuitive" to those of one background may be a complete mystery to those with another.

Last edited:

nick12ab

It took me several minutes to get rid of an annoying pop-up information screen in one program because I didn't know the correct procedure to do so, and there were no on-screen clues as to what to do to get rid of the blurb. Turns out, the "procedure" was to click on it.
Pretty much like closing the splash screen in Programming Editor - only today I found out how to without waiting and found a bug in my attempts!

Haku

@nick12ab, thanks that worked fine.

I'm surprised these options aren't turned on as default as I have found on other forums.

@John, the current generation of "click it and see what happens" is probably a big factor in why viruses/trojans/malwere etc. is so prevailant.