flickering flame on 08

Hi there
Has enybody got any thorts or suluition for simulating a flickering flame efect on a model camp fire using the 08 or 08M picaxe and two orange leds Regards AQ

Mycroft2152

Andy,

You'll have to play a bit with the pwm commmand to get the increase and decrease in the flame. Throw in some random numbers at the same time.

Some of the 'commercial" flickering candles use the output from a surplus music chip to drive a LED and create the flickering flame. Instructables has a project for this.

Myc

Rickharris

Hi there
Has enybody got any thorts or suluition for simulating a flickering flame efect on a model camp fire using the 08 or 08M picaxe and two orange leds Regards AQ

I can't find the original post so this isn't my idea BUT it works quite well.

Use the tune command to play back some tune (select your own or use happy birthday or similar) Rather than output to a sounder or speaker - output to an LEd - it will flicker like a flame. Honest it works. Apparently this is how the commercial versions work.

eclectic

Rick. Great "find".

What a super little project for kids.

3 LED in series from Pin2 - Ground. (No resistors)

Program

Main:
play 2,0 'Silent Night "looks" best
goto main

9 bytes.

Your idea should go in "Finished Projects", under perhaps a new heading
Quick Starters.

e.

premelec

I have some commercial units which - if I recall correctly! - are 2 LEDs connected to outputs on a self oscillating 4060 CMOS chip and run on 2 AAA batteries - this is a pretty good faked candle flame when put behind frosted glass... very cheap... if you want I'll look up the circuit [either in my files or one of the units!]

Mycroft2152

Andy,

You'll have to play a bit with the pwm commmand to get the increase and decrease in the flame. Throw in some random numbers at the same time.

Some of the 'commercial" flickering candles use the output from a surplus music chip to drive a LED and create the flickering flame. Instructables has a project for this.

Myc
I guess the second part of my hint was a little too subtle :)

It would be nice if the new PICAXE users would at least attempt to read parts of the manuals. :(

But I guess "spoon feeding: is the accepted norm today.

Myc

Dippy

Well I think some of the commercial ones use a music chip source.
So, you could use the tune command to output to an LED instead of a speaker.

Oh, has someone said this before? Like most people I never read what other people have put ;)
(Happens all the time Myc. Darned annoying sometimes.)

Mycroft2152

Well I think some of the commercial ones use a music chip source.
So, you could use the tune command to output to an LED instead of a speaker.

Oh, has someone said this before? Like most people I never read what other people have put ;)
(Happens all the time Myc. Darned annoying sometimes.)
Dipster,

For the record. there is a SEARCH button at the top of the forum page. It's amazing what it can do.

Unfortunately, it still cannot teach you to read.

Myc

Rickharris

I guess the second part of my hint was a little too subtle :)

It would be nice if the new PICAXE users would at least attempt to read parts of the manuals. :(

But I guess "spoon feeding: is the accepted norm today.

Myc

Sorry I didn't get to the bottom of your post - guess I was too focused on "I have seen the answer to this somewhere ... and tried it and it works!..."

The tune comment PDF doesn't contain the same information - it says you can make an LED flash but that isn't the same effect as feeding the tune direct to an LED.

OH Well, please regard this as filtered through a bottle of wine anyway.

Who reads anything these days (except boring old F's like us :))

Bring back my fathers day when every engineer had a toolbox carrier who's only role in life was to watch, learn and make the tea!.

Dippy

A 'search' button Myc. Hadn't seen that.
Can you pop round and show me where it is please? What does it do?

RED HERRING: Due to my clumsiness I have discovered something that EVERYONe knew before. If you press Shift+Ctrl+b you get the bold control brackets up. And i for itallics.everyone knew that of course didn't they

Mycroft2152

A 'search' button Myc. Hadn't seen that.
Can you pop round and show me where it is please? What does it do?

]
Send me the airplane ticket and I'll be there! Make it a one-way ticket and yo can have a permanent house guest.

Myc

Last edited:

alpacaman

The October 2005 issue of Nuts and Volts magazine has an article on making an LED candle using a Prop-1 (BS1) controller. If I remember right it even describes the code to make different flicker patterns - like a strong breeze as opposed to calm air. It would be interesting to have some kind of sensor input to detect changes in the wind and change the flicker accordingly.