first order from tech supplies, A+++++++++

tony_g

well after just over one year i finally had to order the picaxe chips i wanted from tech supplies as the retailers closer to my geographic location just dont carry the full line :(

its something ive had to put off as much as i didnt want to due to the currency exchange rate but finally decided i may as well order a whack load for a good few current and future projects.

all in all i spent just over 30gbp and have welcomed 17 new additions to my parts bin, mostly smt versions of the dip style i use on the breadboard with a few i have not used yet and now just have to wait for my remaining mail order of smt caps and resistors amongst other things.

whilst pulling the bags out of the packet and slowly examining the new chips with a grin like a kid at christmas i pulled out a bag which i did not recognise as being part of my order thinking it may have been put in by mistake , i turned it around to read the label on the other side to see "thanks for your order,enjoy this free gift" and in the bag was an axe230 smt 08m module, needless to say this increased the grin on my face even more just looking at this tiny little project board thinking of what crazy little thing to make with this, no doubt something that will endlessly amuse my son.

my shopping list is already starting to grow again with things i would like to order next time.

so until the next order thanks tech supplies,my first order has definately been a very happy experience and no doubt wont be the last. :D

Paix

@Tony_g, It's the small kindnesses in life that make the world go round.

Good on Rev Ed, recognising your postal and other difficulties and making that welcoming gesture which you have so obviously appreciate.

We look forward to hearing from you regarding your projects, thoughts and dabblings once you find the time to get stuck in.

beb101

This is a shipping suggestion for Techsupplies. I initiated an order several days ago for 2 Picaxe 20X2 and 2 surface mount 20X2. The total was slightly over £12 excluding VAT. To my dismay at checkout the shipping cost escalated to £12 when I thought it was £4. Upon more careful reading of the policy, orders over £12 are insured and sent by registered mail. I therefore adjusted my order to remain under £12 to get £4 shipping. So my suggestion is: make a checkbox disclaimer for orders over £12 and let the buyer bear the risk of regular air mail. In my opinion, this policy is a revenue reducer for small orders. I absolutely, refuse to pay high shipping costs relative to the value of the goods.

Baxter

tony_g

paix, the free gift definately adds to the joy of recieving the order and is very much appreciated.

baxter i know how upsetting it can be ordering from another country and shedding a small tear when it comes to calculating the real cost after the currency conversion has been done, my shipping was 12.50 gbp and thats why i ordered a good amount of chips i needed for the projects im doing now that are ready for pcb fab as well as a few extra ones for any future projects that have yet to start past the idea concept stage, after the exchange rate it cost just over $70 cad but was nescesary as i could not get them from any suppliers out here and for the chips they did stock that i needed it was actually cost for cost almost on par for me to buy a few in one bulk order from the uk and actually be about even with what i would have spent buying from my local supplier and not completely getting what i wanted, but for the time being i have a good few chips to play with now and finally get a couple of projects done and move onto the next ones lol

Paix

I ordered a couple of Open Logger boards from Sparkfun in the USA just recently and the shipping was fairly stiff. I had to sign for the package, which is fairly normal, and the Postman gave me the package. I read a label on it that said that there was import tax to pay and that the Royal Mail was charging £8 for the privilege of taking it off me, so around £12 at the door. Except that the Postman didn't ask for it. Whew! It did make me think twice about ordering any more and how best to go about it. I had obviously exceeded the duty free cost limit, which also took the carriage charge into account; something that irked me a little.

At least when things arrive from China, the Customs declaration has a lot of Chinese on it and often comes by the slow boat for free, which doesn't put it into the tax to pay category or make it quite so obvious that this is a duty to pay package. I don't suppose that I can rely on Royal Mail not to collect . . .

Maybe the Chinese say that it's a gift. Perhaps the strategy should be to have Sparkfun giftwrap and put "Happy Birthday" on the wrapper . . . you never know, it might work!

Buzby

... import tax to pay and that the Royal Mail was charging £8 for the privilege of taking it off me, ... exceeded the duty free cost limit, which also took the carriage charge into account; something that irked me a little...
It irked me a lot !.

Recently I ordered a single-source chip from the USA.

Chip cost $10 ( £6.23 ), insured mail to UK $40 ( £24.95 ), UK import duty $10 ( £6.23 ), PO fee $12.82 ( £8.00 )

Total cost $73 ( £45 )

I contacted the vendor, who reluctantly agreed to use normal mail, thus saving me about $60 ( £38 ).

russbow

But the world can be a small place. My sister in law is in the USA. A quick e-mail to her with the vendor and part number usually sees the goodies on my doormat, via her, within a fortnight at lowest cost. ;)

Maybe I should set up a shipping agency here in the UK for Picaxe bits. Hmmmm....

premelec

I think the bottom line is pay close attention to shipping charges! When I ordered from RevEd some time ago I noticed a huge jump if I went over a certain value... ordered less... recently needed some mechanical parts found listed at a good price in Ireland with flat shipping fee of $10 which is less than flat rate inside USA would be - parts took a week longer to arrive than if ordered in USA... I hadn't noticed the AXE230 Tony so thanks for that info... :)

tony_g

even as a now obsolete item its still a welcomed gesture as a customer :D, i have only used the M2 range of chips so far and have got used to the extra features they offer over their previous versions but im sure i can find a suitable project to stick this in, along with the 08m soic chips i bought because they were just to cheap to pass up and no doubt will still prove to be usefull for a few gizmos lol, now i just have to try and not get carried away with the shopping basket for the next order lol

Last edited:

John West

I just placed a large (for me) order with Tech Supplies for the shop I work at. It took half an hour to get through to the bank's fraud department to get the order processed. The card provider (Visa) had denied the purchase because it was an order placed for items outside the US! Duh. They appear to be a bit slow realizing it's a world-wide market these days.

Maybe I'll get some free goodies, too. You shouldn't have mentioned that you did, Tony. Now I'll feel disappointed if I don't get a present, too. :)

I had the order shipped airmail. Does anyone (perhaps Premelec) know what a reasonable delivery time-frame is for airmail from Tech supplies to the central/west US region?

tony_g

I believe pongo ordered from tech supplies and his order was shipped out on the 29th the same as mine and he got his in northern california in 5 days I believe, mine arrived a few days later here in Canada. Mine was sent via Royal Mail airmail so assuming his was sent the same then hopefully you won't have too long of a wait

Pongo

I believe pongo ordered from tech supplies and his order was shipped out on the 29th the same as mine and he got his in northern california in 5 days I believe, mine arrived a few days later here in Canada. Mine was sent via Royal Mail airmail so assuming his was sent the same then hopefully you won't have too long of a wait
Correct, airmail, but mine was a simple envelope, a larger package may get handled differently.

tony_g

Either way it should not take to long even if its being sent by the airmail option, if you check the info from Royal Mail it says the delivery time goal for signed for airmail items for most regularly delivered to country's is 5-7 days,mine was spot on 7 days from despatch to delivery including the weekend and its stop to say hello to customs

John West

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye open for the package. It's a couple hundred dollars, so I want to keep a very close eye on it. I can hardly wait for them to show up. We're already clearing off a section of display shelving for them. As soon as they arrive I'm going to schedule some PICAXE classes at the store. I think it will be a lot of fun.

John West

My PICAXE chip order arrived from Tech Supplies on Saturday while I was out, but the mail carrier just left a note. No chips. Apparently it had been shipped with a requirement that it be signed for, so, as it was a Saturday and the PO had already closed, I had to wait over the weekend then drive to the PO to pick it up Monday morning as they wouldn't send it out again. I know not why. One would think that for $25 in shipping charges that they could manage to actually deliver it. But I guess that since the money actually goes to the British PO, the US PO doesn't much care if it gets delivered or not.

While standing in long lines isn't the easiest thing for me to do, and I'd left my wheelchair at work on Saturday, I did finally manage to get my package, and it contained all the chips I'd ordered, and was well packaged. Unfortunately, no free gift was included. :( I guess I'll have to wait for Santa. He always come through. :)

I'll be starting up teaching soldering classes next week, and will progress through bd fabrication classes and then on to PICAXE controller classes. These will be hands-on classes to teach folks how to do everything for themselves from an idea all the way through to a reliable working device, including schematics, component selection and troubleshooting techniques. It will be a lot of fun.

When it reaches the point of PICAXE code creation and debugging, I may be asking for some help from the folks here in the forum, as code development is where I'm weakest in this process, and will be most appreciative of whatever assistance I can get.

inglewoodpete

... I had to wait over the weekend then drive to the PO to pick it up Monday morning as they wouldn't send it out again. I know not why. One would think that for $25 in shipping charges that they could manage to actually deliver it. But I guess that since the money actually goes to the British PO, the US PO doesn't much care if it gets delivered or not....
Try Australia Post. If you don't run to the door when they knock, you'll open the door to see them driving off. Pickup then has to be at the PO but, of course, the package is in the postie's van for the next 24-hours. You're lucky to have Saturday deliveries. Ours in Mon-Fri only

:( I guess I'll have to wait for Santa. He always come through. :)
Only if you're good.

The venture sounds like a good one. I hope its rewarding for you and I'm sure the audience/class will be enthusiastic!