First -08M Project

-Gary

Good Evening!
Thought I would share with you my first post and PicAxe project. I was looking for an interesting project to tie my PicAxe and my other hobby of slotcar racing together. Thought about building a motor dyno and here are the results.
The controls are not completely done yet. Must buy a momentary contact switch and wire up my motor power supply and transistor to the -08M. First test was a success. I atttached a photo and schematic. Got a couple questions on the code and debug results but will ask later when everything is completed.

Regards,
-Gary

Attachments

manuka

Well done for a first PICAXE project! However it's worth retaining the 10k & 22k "programming" resistors on the PCB, & nothing at all will give "floating" problems. A motor hash supressing cap ( ~100nF) across the motor brushes is usually needed too- PICAXEs become confused otherwise. Stan

-Gary

Thanks Manuka for the words! I will add the cap across the motor contacts. The pcb is the AXE021 Proto board kit with some female headers added to make it more "experiment friendly".

I want the program to run the motor for 6.0 seconds recording the rpm pulses every 0.5 secs. and display them in the debug window. The highest recorded rpm will give me a base line to compare other motors with.

I have used a program called StampPlot. Anyone ever got it running with the Axe chip?

Regards,
-Gary

Attachments

manuka

Stamplot is very well known to us PICAXErs, & following a request back in ~2003 I managed to twist the author's arm to even configure it to better suit the 2400bps of the 08 - then most popular PICAXE. You may want to check StampDAQ too. Stan

westaust55

Hi Garry,

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

Great to see that you have done well and had a great time with your fist project.

I have been using a 40X1 for a while I have just started to do some smaller experiments with a 08M and using the AXE021 protoboard.
I did exactly the same thing and while I have a permanent circuit in the proto area, I installed 3 rows of female headers to enable disconnection of the main circuitry and connection of other devices.

You can get an idea of what I did from the attachments to this post:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=90858.

Have not used Stampplot before but since I will be looking to use my latest project for monitoring light levels and temps in various locations that program looks very interesting.

If you do a search of this forum there are a couple of threads about Stampplot and some code snippets as a starting point.
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4862

-Gary

Hey Manuka,
That is some good news about StampPlot. Looks like this weekend I can dig into it deeper. I started with a BasicStamp late last year. Used it for 2-months and it was fun, then I found the PicAxe and have not messed with the Stamp since :D. Axe just seems easier to work with, plus a LOT less money.

WestAust55,
Thanks for the thread... this will get me started. Glad to be in this Forum as I see a lot of good stuff being discussed.

If you do a search of this forum there are a couple of threads about Stampplot and some code snippets as a starting point.
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4862
When I get everything working I will post the code for anyone looking to try using Plot.

Regards,
-Gary