Feature request Named Pipe Plugin

BESQUEUT

Named pipe Plugin is an interesting feature but at the time limited to pin I/O.

Will it be possible to have serial data changes ? (serin/serout, I2C, SPI...)

So we can write device simulation (ds1207, LCD, APA102,...)

By the way, when only one pin change, it's not of interest to have whole ports changes...

Last edited:

BESQUEUT

No answer ???
Maybe my asking is not clear enough, so here is an example of what I mean :
Supposing we simulate the following code in PE6 :
serout c.4,t2400,("PICAXE",13,10)

I wish to receive from PE6 to client something like :

number_of_updates:3<CR><LF>
SimulationType:pICAXE-08M2<CR><LF>
SimulationPinSize:8<CR><LF>
serout:12,1,80,73,67,65,88,69,13,10<CR><LF>

NB :
C.4=12
T2400=1

Idem for the line :
hspiout("PICAXE",13,10)

I hope to receive something like :
hspiout:80,73,67,65,88,69,13,10<CR><LF>

For hi2cout, I will be happy to receive exactly the bytes send to the I2C bus.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This is not planned at present, although we have already put it on the future feature request list.

lbenson

BESQUEUT--you seem to have some interest in the Named Pipe Plugin--what information do you have about it or what link documents it?

lbenson

Thanks for that. I don't think it will do what I want either. What I'd really like to be able to do is connect the simulator to a real usb/serial port or real usb-to-spi hardware or real usb-to-i2c module.

BESQUEUT

BESQUEUT--you seem to have some interest in the Named Pipe Plugin--what information do you have about it or what link documents it?
PE6_Named_Pipe_Plugins.pdf
Successfully made a plugin...
But I wanted to simulate an I2C device, and this is not possible with current protocol.

Asked for a way to send/receive messages via I2C and/or SPI (see #2...)

==> so we can simulate chips, LCD,... ==> great enhancement for simulation...

====> this was 3 years ago...

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Any custom development like this needs to be weighed up financially against the cost of the time required to do it, at present we have no other use case for this proposed function and so it is not viable. However it will remain on our future request list, this may change in the future.

Buzby

... a method of 'sending' bytes to another app, even something as simple as re-directing 'serout' to a text file would be so much more useful than flashing a virtual LED.
What about this ?.

Just a redirection of the stuff going to the PE6 terminal. It could even be part of the terminal code, thus not impacting the main PE6.

I can't see this requiring much effort to implement, and it would make debugging in PE6 much easier.

( I'd really like DDE back, but then I'm Old Skool through and through :) )

BESQUEUT

Any custom development like this needs to be weighed up financially against the cost of the time required to do it, at present we have no other use case for this proposed function and so it is not viable. However it will remain on our future request list, this may change in the future.
I agree...
But I can also argue that additional plugins freely made by enthousiasts will be a real plus-value for PE6.
For example, the text file dump plugin will be easy to create if I2C comm is implemented.

There are many indirect use case wich can be adressed whith such simulation :
https://picaxeforum.co.uk/threads/simulate-cgrams-on-pe6.27926/

To my mind, you where very close to an excellent solution with the protocol I did experiment. We need a little more...Plugin.jpg

Some "message" for serout, I2C and SPI , and this will do...
Very close to the "pinsb" message
but with the serial byte sent as argument...

Attachments

Last edited: