FAULTY AXE-022P Proto-Board

westaust55

It appears that I have received a faulty AXE-022 proto-board :mad:

I have spent the evening soldering several sockets onto a new AXE-022 proto-board (purchased 2 weeks ago but first time out of the packing tonight).

On geting everything ready, I plugged in the AXE-027 USB programming cable and tried to download a program to be greeted with message to say
"Error - Hardware not found on Com 15"

After checking the cable and other things quickly still no joy.

I put the PICAXE 40X1 back into the other (older) AXE-022 protoboard and there was no problems downloading a program.

So tried the Programming Editor View/Options/Test facility and put a multimeter across the Serial input and there was no Voltage at pin 6 (Serial Input) when the LED was clicked (and turned green).

A few more tests with the multimeter and I found that there was a circuit from the PICAXE 40X1 Serial Input (Pin 6) to the 22kOhm resistor but no circuit from the 22kOhm resistor to the stereo programming socket.

To test out this I soldered a link from the 22kOhm resistor to the programming socket and lo and behold using the Programming Editor View/Options/Test facility I could then toggle the logic level on the 40X1 serial input pin.

So all seemed good and I reinstalled the 40X1 into the new AXE-022 proto-board.

With a program in the PICAXE 40X1, I can run that program on the new AXE-022 protoboard.

But . . . . still unable to download a program. :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any comments of thoughts from the PICAXE community?

Does Technical have any comment?

westaust55

AXE-022 - not so faulty

Thanks HAZELEB and Technical.

Your answer was spot on.

Clearly I need to make a mental note to:

1. Stop working on hobbies after 10:30pm . . .
2. Don't believe the manuals reference to "default" reflects "as dipatched from factory"

I had done a (too) quick visual check of the jumper J1, J2 and J3 and thought they were in the corect positions but all three were in the wrong position.

After 6 hous sleep, and reading the responses, removed the wire link I added, put the jumpers in the correct position and all is working. :)

To have been able to run a program with jumper J3 in the wong position (and no added voltage regulator), the PICAXE must have been getting enough current via I/O to power and run it.

As for reading the manual . . . The AXE-022 manual for this pre-assembled product states:
"... The default position for the jumper headers
is (viewed from front with download socket at top of board):
J1 left hand side
J2 left hand side
J3 left hand side"

So conclusion is they may be the default position but not necessarily where they are positioned when the boards are dispatched.