False Positive Anti-virus in file adc083x.dll

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We are aware that a few anti-virus packages are currently making a false positive identification of trojan.gen virus in file adc083x.dll at the moment (Feb 2011).

Unfortunately as the a-v companies share signature lists if one makes a false positive alert the others tend to follow suit!

There is nothing wrong with this file at all, but the antivirus may quarantine it or prevent installation.

We have submitted false positive notifications to these companies and the situation should automatically resolve itself within a few days when your a-v software automatically downloads a new update with the false positive corrected.

If you want more info about what a false positive is see:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279885

MSP1

It seems that this is still a problem. My AVG 2012 just "detected" this file so I submitted it to AVG for checking and received an email saying "C:\Program Files\Revolution Education\PICAXE VSM\MODELS\ADC083X.DLL - detection is correct".

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
There is nothing wrong with this file and all the other AV companies have accepted that it was a false positive. We will resubmit it to AVG.

papaof2

Some of the antivirus programs are more about hysteria and paranoia than useful detection. Signatures may be useful, but a signature must be long enough chain to be unquestionably unique. That doesn't always happen: Avira flags some things that I have written as "contains xxxxx" when I know the code is clean.

John