Exporting VSM to PCB Program

Mycroft2152

VSM can export schematic files to pcb programs in one of 2 ways. If you own Labcenter's ARES or Rev_Ed's RealPCB, it is a simple one click operation. For any other pcb program, the schematic file is exported as a NETLIST.

NETLISTs consists of 2 parts, a list of all the connections and a a list of the component footprints to use. Depending on the NETLIST format, it may be a list of names (TANGO), or just a list of IC designations (Multiwire used for EAGLE)

The component footrpint names are native to ARES and have to be "interpreted" for other pcb programs. When a NETLIST is imported and the pcb program cannot find the named footprint, you must select the appropriate footprint from the the pcb library.

Unfortuanately, this has to be done on a component by component basis, each time you import a NETLIST. A real PITA.

The solution is to rename your pcb program's footprint's to match the ARES names.

I am creating up a DIPTRACE (a free pcb program) VSM footprint library and have had to analyze the VSM/ARES footprint library. There are most components will use one of 72 footprints, but there are a number of addtional components in VSM that do not have an associated foootprint.

CELL
DPSW2
IRLINK
KEYBOARD3X4
KEYBOARD4X4
MOTOR-BISTEPPER
MOTOR-BLDCM
MOTOR-SERVO
SW-DPDT-MOM
SW-DPDT
SW=DPST-MOM
SWDPST
SW-ROT-3
SW-ROT-4
SW-ROT-5
SW=ROT-6
SW-SPDT
SW-SPDT-MOM
SW-SPST-MOM
SW-SPST

With these missing footprints, even even exporting schematics to ARES will not be complete. This isalso true for RealPCB, except some VSM components have a Realpcb name but no ARES equivalent. (?)

Technical / Labcenter can you fill in the gaps in the footprint list?

Mycroft2152

PS. If anyone wants to try out a BETA version of the VSM DIPTRACE library, you can contact me through the forum. when the library is completed, I will post it.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The solution is to rename your pcb program's footprint's to match the ARES names.
Not quite as simple as that, you need to make sure pin names match as well. For instance some programs may use 'A' and 'K' for the two LED pin names, others may use '1' and '2'. You also have to make sure they are around the correct way on your PCB symbol ie 1-1 not 1-2 etc!

That said, once done, having a DIPTRACE library available will be great so keep up the good work!

Most of the devices you listed would just be used on a PCB header/screw terminal block. For instance to connect a stepper motor you would normally just use a terminal block PCB symbol with the correct number of poles.

Mycroft2152

Technical,

Thanks for the quick response.

I've already included the pin name conversions. :)

I understand that user selected footprints (terminal blocks) can be used. It just seemed that the VSM library was not complete and would not fully work for either ARES or REALPCB. A new user would expect a full export. Also, a mention in the help files would be a good idea.

I was just looking for the reccommended footprints to complete the VSM / DIPTRACE library.

Myc

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The truthfullanswer is we have not yet finished all the items either - you are using a beta version!

However some of them don't exist in the real world either e.g. IRLINK is a 'pretend' component for simulation IR communication (see the infrain/out examples), you wouldn't use it on a real-life PCB design.