"Etch a Sketch" turned Temperature Data Logger

mrburnette

Congrats on the project... very cool.

I seem to remember reading about an instrument used on the Apollo missions for NASA that used a stylus on carbon-smoked glass. As the capsule made maneuvers the X, Y components were scratched on the glass removing the carbon.

You have bested NASA since your device can be reusable!

- Ray

IronJungle

Excellent! I'm smarter than 1960's technology NASA! ;)

Thanks for the comments.

I was writing some CNC type XY graphics drivers for the project, but since the PICAXE hates negative numbers and decimals this is not turning out to be easy. In NASA terms, I will probably abort the mission.

Last edited:

erco

That datalogger is the coolest. Well done! Definitely moves onto my "must build" bucket list. :)

IronJungle

Thanks for the kind comments.

In the "for what it is worth" department, I have also configured the same rig to be a low (very low) frequency sample then plot on the etch-a-sketch o'scope.
Also a draw random line marker thingie.

chipwich

Very cool. I've done a bit of data-logging, but mostly very minimalist with data compression to fit more data into the limited storage of the PICAXE. Your etch-a-sketch output is both very functional and quite a bit more fashionable than most other output devices I've seen.

And kudos for getting to the point of building the data-logger. After watching your test-pattern video, I'd have been too distracted by the temptation to just code routines to draw more patterns... so many fun patterns that you could draw!