Error message.

Worm

Every time I try to click on buttons in the Programming Editor, eg. Syntax or any other buttons, I get a error message. " File cannot be saved as it is read- only."

tiscando

Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

Seriously?
Do you mean that when you press any button on the programming editor window, including the 'syntax check' and the 'simulate' buttons :confused:, you get a misleading error message saying "File cannot be saved as it is read- only."?

If this is correct, then the program may be corrupt. I think that almost no-one else has experienced this problem.

Try reinstalling the programming editor to see if it gets better.

A couple of questions to also ask:
1. What operating system do you have?
2. Do the drop-down menus at the top e.g. 'file'; 'edit' work correctly, or do they bring up the same error message?

cvrwy

Interesting.......

I purposely went into the program's "properties" and changed it to "read only" and it still worked fine. The only thing "read only" does is keeps you from deleting it or re-saving it again.

Worm

Tried reloading PE.

Downloaded PE again and installed with the same results. Error. "File cannot be saved as it is read- only." when clicking on Syntax, Simulate or Program buttons. Other buttons do what they should do. Im running XP with SP3.

tiscando

Oh dear. :confused:
Does anyone know if the Programming editor's complier requires certain windows system files to run?

Worm, a few more questions so that others could figure out what the problem could be:

3. does the 'simulate>run', 'PICAXE>run'..., and 'PICAXE>check syntax'... menus work properly, or do they bring up the same error as the check syntax, simulate, and run buttons on the toolbar?

4. In the intro window that comes up first when you start up Programming editor, does it say 'version 5.2.2'? The latest version of PE is 5.2.2. (Just realised that there is a newer version out now; is it that the full PE download might have a glitch?)

5. When you downloaded and installed PE again, did you uninstall the PE already on there first?

6 (one more, just to make sure). How reliable is your internet connection?

Thanks.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ Worm : Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

Check that whatever 'Windows Temporary Directory' you have exists, is on a local drive ( not networked or on removable disk ), is not read only or hidden, and the directory is not full.

Worm

Error problem solved

Reloaded windows. All good. Thanks for the help. PS. I like the new simulator.