Error: 5 issues

BradBlucher

I was wondering if someone could give a step by step explanation as to how to solve an "error: 5" issue I am having when I go to write a program to my chip. I have read all of the previous threads pertaining to this issue and have not been able to solve my problem as I have no idea where to go to make the prescribed changes. I am an amateur and do not intuitively know where everything is on my computer.

So the problem details are:

I cannot write a program to the chip. When I click run I get the "error: 5..." message.
I can confirm the firmware on the chip.
I have tried changing the compatibility modes for the program.
I am running a 64bit version of XP Pro.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

For those of us who have forgotten what those previous threads may be, or what the problem relates to ( beyond not being able to download ), could you supply a link to the threads ?

Even giving the full text of what follows the "Error:5" message would help.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
First, make sure you are running the latest Programming Editor, version 5.2.6

Could you also let us know if you get the same error when you do a Check Syntax (F4).

Also which PICAXE type are you attempting to program ?

I recall those earlier problems were related to the Programming Editor using 16-bit sub-programs and the OS not being configured to utilise 16-bit sub-programs. Such 16-bit sub-programs have not been used by Programming Editor for a while so it may be that you have some other problem. I have not heard of similar problems with 64-bit XP.

Could you tell us exactly what the error message says in entirety, including any heading the message box has, or provide a screen shot.

BradBlucher

Well, I tried downloading a newer version of the editor and that solved the problem (I was using something around 5.0). I have had no further problems.

Thank you very much for your very quick and concise responses. The help is appreciated.