Eprom

Joe2003

Hey

Im new here so hi!

I working on producing a datalogger around the 18x. Im reading the altitude from a barameter module and want to ouput it to an eprom every sec. The system will log altitude over a long time. I have 2 questions.

can you daisy chain the eproms, so as far as the 18x is concerned its one block of storage, or do I need to manage multiple eprom chips

Also, is there a way of returning used/avaliable storage left on the eprom chip, so I can tell my project when to stop logging?

thanks for the help, im new to picaxes, there so cool and cheap :p I have been using bx24 chips untill now.

MFB

Yes, you can connect multiple EEPROMS on an i2c bus. A maximum of 512K bytes of storage would be available with 4 x Microchip 24LC1025, and there have been some recent post here about how to use them. I suggest you start by doing a forum search.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You need to manage multiple Eeprom chips but that's not hard to do and with your sampling rate there will be plenty of time to handle that.

Eeproms don't keep track of their own usage so you'll need to code something to note how much you've written - Although the address of where you are writing to will tell you how much you have left.

Part of recent discussions have included how to increase the number of Eeproms you can access so you can go to quite high storage capacities.