encoder pulse reading

ak0b

I suspect the solution is available on the web if I knew the proper search terms.

My problem:

I want to drive a variable inductor with a DC motor and read it's position with a single optical encoder. The external sense circuit can stop the inductor in the middle of a pulse and reverse direction. I am seeking a pulse reading circuit that senses both direction of the pulse and time position - time is not a good word - count may be better.

i.e. say we have read 9 pulses and stop in the middle of the tenth, and then reverse direction - or worse we sort of diddle about the tenth position and get multi counts

Hope this makes some sense - I always want to do the count, the cum count and also know the direction so we and add +- as required

Thanks, Stan

BeanieBots

I've moved your thread to the active forum where you are likely to get more replies.

You need to look for "quadrature encoder". This type of encoder sends out two sets of pulses that are 90 degrees out of phase. By knowing which phase changes state first, it is possible to determine direction and counting pulses will determine revolutions.