Ember EM2420 Xceiver Modules

John West

I have access to several surplus Ember EM2420 transceiver modules: http://www.ember.com/pdf/EM2420datasheet.pdf

and was wondering if they were so obsolete (apparently the new ones are 3rd generation, while these are 1st generation,) as to make them undesirable to run data links with.

Can anyone give me some pros and cons on using them instead of new technology units in my PICAXE projects? Also, if they are still of reasonable functionality, does anyone have any guesses as to what they're worth in today's market? (Before I pay too much for them.) :D

Thanks.

Last edited:

John West

Sorry if the link is wrong. (I've edited in the "o" now.) It was a straight c&p that I must have screwed up while formatting for the screen.

The complete devices are black plastic boxes with a backplane in them that has a battery holder, a Hall Effect switch, a Zigbee RF networking module and antenna, a data level shifter, and an accelerometer, (and nothing else) in them

Yesterday, I found a local embedded systems guy to take a look at the modules for me. He has some interesting speculation about their use.

I'm working on the hardware end of it, as the modules are plug-ins to a bd that has both a Hall sensor along the edge and an accelerometer, and little else besides a battery box for a single huge cell (over 2 inches long and an inch in diameter,) probably a large 3V Lithium cell. The large version of the box they come in has 2 sets of PV cells on it to keep things running for an extended period.

The interesting thing about the package is that there are no openings in the boxes, either the larger box or the smaller one. I have some ideas about what they were used for, but further research is in order. A fun little bit of detective work and a new toy to play with.