Electronics for beginners

moxhamj

From time to time on this forum there are general questions about electronics. Take the "wire OR diode mixer" for combining serial signals for instance. I learnt about this sort of thing from books published 20 years ago (and now sadly out of print) but recently I came across a really nifty website that has all those tips and tricks:

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/experiments/

Click on the "2 input diode OR" example on that page. Scroll down, and not only is there the circuit, but there is also a working breadboard example.

Check out some of the other diode logic circuits. Then the single transistor logic circuits. Then just go to the home page and randomly browse around.

Hey, maybe we could ask the author of the website to add the picaxe??!

Dippy

That's a nice link Drac.

Instead of asking the authors to include PICAXE (why?), maybe we should ask the Authors of this Forum to include a new Dropdown called 'resources'.
Over the months/years numerous handy websites have been highlighted which could help Newbies and Old Hacks. (NB. Newbies=Don't know and Old Hacks=Forgotten).

So instead of having to spend hours drawing pictures and posting, the Questioner can be pointed to the Resources list.
So many Old Faithfulls crop up (LEDs, diode-mixing, and, oh no, MOSFETs aaaaarghh!) that sooner or later the Old Hacks will have a nervous breakdown.
But, of course, deep down I know it'll never happen.

westaust55

That's a nice link Drac.

Instead of asking the authors to include PICAXE (why?), maybe we should ask the Authors of this Forum to include a new Dropdown called 'resources'.
Over the months/years numerous handy websites have been highlighted which could help Newbies and Old Hacks. (NB. Newbies=Don't know and Old Hacks=Forgotten).
Great Idea Dippy but from my experience links to "resources" on other sites can be an issue as they get deleted or moved and the links are broken through lack of maintenance.

Best to have resources data available directly on the Rev Ed website.
I have postulated something similar in the past and even offered by email to Rev Ed that they could take onboard/ownership of the various tables, charts, tutorials I have created.

Maybe Rev Ed management are looking/reading and might implement something along these lines.

Dippy

"...they get deleted or moved and the links are broken through lack of maintenance"
- true. There are always potential flaws and pickable holes.

Possible Solutions:-
1. Ask Author if copies can be put on Rev-Ed Server.
2. Put Resource Links in a PDF which can be more easily maintained - simple edit on Server.
3. Write their own Resources library - maybe with limited Wiki Style updating.
4. Pay BeanieBots to produce Manual 4: Advanced Interfacing, Example Circuits and Tips & Tricks. I'll do it for 500 pints of draught Carlsberg (hic).

All largely hypothetical as it'll never happen.

I would suggest that people start by creating a Favourites list in their Browser - or save Website pages.
Anyway, t'ain't Rocket Science and surely 'tis not beyond the wit of man :)

moxhamj

LOL Dippy, one day if I make it back to the Old Dart (as holder of a UK passport and all) I might just join you in a pint.

Or 500!

I guess the thing is to try to keep our collective memories working so we can refer on those question as they may arise. I'd like to think the knowledge of simple electronics doesn't get lost by us oldies. ie anyone >=40.

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago my son came home from school with his year 8 electronics project. Almost finished. I never knew he was even working on it. A racing car. It didn't work and some quick diagnostic work in the shed revealed a broken wire. Well that was quickly resoldered and it works well, but the intriguing thing was the markings on the 8 pin chip. It looked awfully similar to a Picaxe 08M, and inded, some directed questioning (as well as a bright light and 've hav vays of making you talk') revealed that the teacher had mentioned somthing about a 'Picaxe'

Who would have thought...

Last edited:

Dippy

Aaaarghh.... don't let hippy see that..... a racing car.... PICAXE.
His New Year's resolution is to sneak "Mission Critical" , "State Engine" and "tea and biscuits" into every reply :)

Edit: TOO LATE - he's viewing this thread.. oh DrAc what have you done ?!?!?