download problems at 16 mhz?

Brietech

Hello all, I just built a new 28X-1 board, soldered everything up, and tried to do a firmware check with the editor. All of the connections look fine on my multimeter, but no luck. The chip was initially connected to a 20 mhz resonator, so i thought that might be the problem, and unsoldered it and attached a 16 mhz crystal + 2 caps in its place. Still no luck downloading. I was fairly sure that the new editor (5.1.5) had no problems downloading at higher frequencies, since there is no longer a drop-down box to set the frequency in the "options" menu, but anyone know for sure?. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated, so other suggestions are welcome as well =)

p.s. Yes, the reset pins are appropriately pulled high, the 2 ground connections are made, the chip is getting 5.05V, and the resonator is hooked up properly.

Brietech

uh-oh. Traded it out with another chip, and it worked fine. I may have just hosed that one somehow. grrr. Sorry for starting a silly thread.

BCJKiwi

There was a thread a while back wherin technical advised that once the programmer 'sees' the chip is ready for download (reset or idle time in program), the comms and download run at a fixed (low) speed independent of clock speed and terminal setup. So no issues should arise from the clock speed of the chip.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
And an X1 should run and download okay with no crystal attached at all.

I have one 08M which stubbornly refuses to download at 5V but works fine at 4V-4V5. Might be worth a try. Even if you have a 7805 regulator on board, feed that 4V5 and it should put out ~4V5 so no need for major circuit surgery.

Also hard-reset, power on when "Connecting to hardware..." appears, may bring it back from the dead. Don't forget to try the "Firmware?" button to see if that works even if download doesn't; a LED+R on Serial Out should flicker on if it detects the request.

Brietech

oy! No luck. *sigh* i think this is the first picaxe I've ever actually fried. Some of my 08m's are 2+ years old and on their 3rd or 4th projects!