Download cable length

rq3

Has anyone any experience with extending the AXE027 download cable? I've made a roughly 2 meter long extension with the appropriate 3.5mm socket on one end to fit the AXE027 plug, and a 3 pin Molex KK at the other to fit my circuit board (which will be buried in my refrigerator). The extension is twisted 28 gauge wire (Ground, SerIn, Serout), and will allow the socket to be accessible while the fridge door is closed (with the three wires squeezing under the door gasket).

The board download circuit is the standard 10K/22K resistors. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rip
AXE_027_Extension.JPG

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

I have used a 3-metre 3.5mm-to-3.5mm extension lead in combination with an AXE027 lead to program a PICAXE mounted in a cabinet high on a wall. The arrangement was reliable for programming the PICAXE as well as transferring data to and from it.

The cable was made of figure 8 audio grade shielded wire.

erco

Probably not a problem at 2 meters. I've used a 48" regular audio extension cable on occasion with my homemade Goeytex-inverted SiLabs CP2102 cable, which is ~24" long. IIRC that is a shielded cable (shield is grounded) so if you experience any trouble with twisted conductors, try shielded cable.

EDIT: IWP beat me to it, he must type faster than me. :)

lbenson

I have very much appreciated this facet of the forum. I can ask a question late at night here in Atlantic Canada, go to bed, and wake up to answers from Australia and New Zealand. The sun never sets on picaxe chips.

rq3

Many thanks to you all! I'll give it a try tonight. With a new design it's nice to have a warm and fuzzy feeling about new things, before freaking out and trying to fix things that aren't broken.

rq3

The 2 meter AXE027 download cable extension works just fine. Scope probing during the download looked very clean. The picaxe is happily driving two optoisolated solid state relays, each switching a 250 watt load.

Circuit

The 2 meter AXE027 download cable extension works just fine. Scope probing during the download looked very clean. The picaxe is happily driving two optoisolated solid state relays, each switching a 250 watt load.
Always good to hear of a successful project; may I ask which opto-isolated solid-state relays you are using?

rq3

Always good to hear of a successful project; may I ask which opto-isolated solid-state relays you are using?
Teledyne LS24D16C. Rated for 240 VAC, 16 amps. I'm switching a 120 VAC motor at 1.4 amps, and the relay temperature rise is only 4 degrees F, even with no heatsink.