DOS Picaxe Editor?

erco

Was there ever an ancient DOS-based Picaxe Editor? Thinking about nabbing an old 286 laptop off ebay for nostalgia/retro's sake. I used to program the basic stamp with a DOS editor circa 1995, green screen, floppy disks and all. If I can get a DOS picaxe editor that would sweeten the deal.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't recall there ever being a DOS PICAXE Editor but 'EDIT' or anything like it will probably work., then run the command line compilers.

nick12ab

I get to reuse this photo from a decade ago 😁

The compilers didn't seem to run on MS-DOS when I tried them all that time ago so you may be in for some disappointment. Hippy will know how much of Windows the command line compilers really need, and optimistically it may be possible to get them working somehow without needing Windows.

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Hippy will know how much of Windows the command line compilers really need
I actually don't. - someone would have to try it and report what happens. Unfortunately, if they don't run, there might not be a lot of reporting back as to why not.

But, having said that, they do run via QEMU emulation on non-Windows platforms so they shouldn't need much other than file and serial port access.

The Sleep Pixies reminded me that the command line editors may have only arrived as part of the move from PE5 to PE6, and I think all our PICAXE related tools were initially Windows only.

erco

Thanks for the info. I'm not questing for a new project right now, so the short answer to my question is no.