DIY PICAXE 08 or 08M Programing board.

manuka

Flexible jumper leads

Surplustronics (a NZ schools orientated supplier & PICAXE outlet) offer a combo breadboard & (terminated) jumper set for just ~$US5. Old hands usually know the benefits of avoiding rats nest connections on breadboards, as subsequent layouts are easier to follow, but neat links can be a little time consuming to organize, especially when just circuit brain storming & proof of concept checking.

As well as being cheap (a bundle of 75 for ~US$2-3) ,these jumpers have shaped up as VERY suitable for quick "pre show off" insights, as they've sturdy pins, colour coding & are very flexible. NZ students exposed to them have shown noticeable lab. assembly (& tidy up) productivity boosts. Typical was a student who wired up a 08M driven 74HC164 Shift Register workout lab. in ~10-15 minutes from walking in the door. (I'd allowed an hour!)

POINT TO THE POSTING : ARE THESE SPECIFIC JUMPERS AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE ( especially Australia)? Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

Dippy

I'm a bit confused Michael, what's the significant difference btween those photos and your average stripboard?
And please remember Michael, if you post pictures like that it gets Stan all excited and provokes him into posting pictures of breadboards :)

manuka

Whoa- easy Dippy- that initial posting was over a month ago. No more full frontal breadboard pix for you.

Last edited:

Michael 2727

Dippy, in answer to A, Nothing !, I just did the hard part for you,
drawing it up and prototyping testing it. ( you could use it for a 14M also )
B, Yes we all know what Stan is like with promoting B/Board, any excuse is good enuff :p
( I like my vero board :) )
And Stan, not seen them in OZ yet.

MurrayJ

I was sick of the download circuit on my breadboard coming off and the general mess and clutter, so I have a couple of photos of my solution.

Inside the box is a standard picaxe-8 board with the inputs & outputs wired to banana sockets on one side of the box and the other has the on/off switch, power for devices on the top breadboard and download socket.

I have used this setup since 2003, with the only change is that it now has an 8M Picaxe chip. It is the best of both worlds - no worrying about loose wiring on the picaxe side, but quick breadboard ideas can be tried out without hassle. If I was to make another I would make it much smaller and a single breadboard on top, but you live and learn.

Attachments