Disaster has struck

kevrus

Here's a strange thing.
I thought I would try out 'logmein.com' so I could access my PC from work. Everything worked like a dream, I could access my PC as though I was actually there.

I opened up various programs with no problems including program editor, and was able to close them all down again.

When I returned home tonight, I couldn't locate any of my picaxe code...programm editor is still there but all my coding from the 'C' drive has vanished...and...unbelievably, so has the the back-ups from the 'D' and 'F' drives as well (which were not accessed during the remotecontrol) ...tried system restore and two file recovery programs to no avail.

At least it demonstrates the need for a remote back-up...better start again, now how do I flash that LED?

Thats bad luck, anyhow thought I'd get in early as this is probably my only chance to ever help someone else on this forum - your such a clever bunch
Code:
main: high 4
pause 1000
low 4
pause 1000
goto main

jglenn

It is hard to believe the other drives were affected, are you sure the backups were really there? Do you verify after you store stuff? The answer is USB flash sticks, take them out and put somewhere. In case someone steals your PC. Or it gets hit by lightning. Or...

you try to access it remotely!

vttom

So what do you think happened? Did someone maliciously hack your computer? I'd think twice before using that remote PC service again.

mickm2au

I've had a few hassels emailing .bas files, some servers or virus software think that they're malicious....maybe that has something to do with it.

kevrus

Amateurman79, thanks for the code...:)

Jglenn, Ive double checked all the drives and the files are definitely gone, and they were definitely there before hand. You are right about a USB drive backup.

Vttom, I don't think someone has hacked into the pc, I think possibly Mickmau is closer to the what really happened.

I have got some code on my laptop, which ive now backed up to USB..live and learn eh?

alpacaman

I too back up my PICAXE code files on several drives. I also have one other means of backing them up - I print them out. It's easier to just retype the code then to figure it out all over again.

premelec

Sorry to hear of this situation... you say you've looked everywhere - I've found "Agent Ransack" program to work when XP searches found nothing - it's worth a try if you haven't already. It does seem very odd it would kill all drives... Good luck!

sketchy

Hi there
Sorry to hear about that. I do not understand how it happened but i did have a similar experience once.

I am not an expert on this but it is worth a go. I once by mistake deleted a folder on a network drive at work (inprinciple the same as remote access) aparently if you delete accros a network there is no recycle bin it just disapears. I downloaded a trial version of some recovery software and managed to get it back.

Aparently it will still be on you drive your just cant see it. You only have to hope you have not writen over it. Best thing to do is stop using affected pc so nothing is written to afected drive get some recovery software maybe download.com i cant remember where i got it from.
Keep your fingers crossed

Good luck.

alband

Man that's tough! I'd be crying into the keyboard. :(

Has "it" wiped everything or just the files you accessed? If it's everything, I'd be certain it is a hacker with nothing better to do.
Can you access them again using the remote system? You could then save them and send them.
I am also assuming you've re-booted?

Don't give up, they must be somewhere...

SilentScreamer

For them to vanish and be invisible to even recovery programs is odd. Even if the file can't be recovered you can normally find the file name atleast (and as bas files are more or less .txt files with another extention, any piece of recovery software should find it relatively easy).

Even if it was a hacker, why go to so much trouble removing all trace of your bas files and even there backups, why not do something more "interesting"?

BeanieBots

I once worked for a corporate organisation whos IS policy was to automatically remove ANY files ending .jpg .mpg .mov and .bas from their entire network. If you "remoted" from within such a company, then maybe their system thought your machine was part of their network and the auto delete took place.
The idea was that pictures & movies could not be work related and anything .bas was a virus.

kevrus

Alpacaman, I think I will be doing as you do and print the code.

SilentScreamer/Sketchy, ive now done an advanced search with file scavenger and have located and recovered the file names, although they are all 1Kb in size and contain nothing but the file name. I agree that a 'hacker' would be unlikely.

Ive also now ordered a larger USB stick and a portable HDD to make sure this strange occurence, whatever the reason, doesn't cause this issue again...

Marcwolf

LogmeIn

Having used LogMeIn for over a year I have not had any trouble with it.

Although I am using the free version that does not allow sounds, file transfer etc.. its mainly so I can RDP over a network that had a firewall in it that would normally block RDP traffic.

Take Care

Dave

Sounds to me as if you've go some malware on your PC.

I suggest that you:

Note: these programs I am asking you to download don't need installation, so when your done, all you need to do is delete them. These utillities are from ALWIL Software.

1) Download and Run this: (a virus / spyware detector)

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclnr.exe

(description here: http://www.avast.com/eng/down_cleaner.html )

Size: 398 KB

2) Download and Run this (a Anti-rootkit detector)

http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswar.exe

Size: 844 KB

Please Post the results...

Another cause could be that you got hacked because the "LogMeIn.com" software opened NetBios Ports (135-139, used for remote access etc.) which are very susceptible to hacker attacks. Do you use a software firewall or have a router?

xnederlandx

Last edited:

kevrus

Xxnederlandx, thanks for the suggestions. I run the free version of zonealarm and i'm connected to a router.
Here are the results of the two scans....

Files scanning finished (78373 files, 0 infected, 1386.1s).
Drives scanned: C: D: F:

avast! Antirootkit, version 0.9.6
Scan started: 22 January 2009 11:12:21

Scan finished: 22 January 2009 11:15:02
Hidden files found: 0
Hidden registry items found: 0
Hidden processes found: 0
Hidden services found: 0
Hidden boot sectors found: 0
I have resigned myself to the fact that the files are gone. Doubt i'll ever get to the bottom of it but thats life

Kevrus,

It seems your computer is well protected from hacker attacks and doesn't have any viruses, spyware, malware or rootkits...

I'm puzzled :confused:

Last questions:

Do the files still appear if you connect remotely?
Are the files there if you use system restore?
Have you tried using search to find the files (incase they've been moved else where)(Be sure to search hidden system files aswell)?

xnederlandx

kevrus

xnederlandx, I have tried various searches including hidden files, i've done a system restore, but haven't chanced accessing remotely again...yet. I too am puzzled.

cvrwy

Kevrus, assuming that nothing/no one broke into you computer, here's a couple of choices I can give you based on your saying.....

"SilentScreamer/Sketchy, ive now done an advanced search with file scavenger and have located and recovered the file names, although they are all 1Kb in size and contain nothing but the file name. I agree that a 'hacker' would be unlikely."

The only programs on your computer that could change your files that way are your Antivirus program and/or your programs like Spybot or AdAware. If your files meet some kind of criteria that these program use, they may "disable" your files.

Did your Antivirus program run during that period?
Did your anti-spyware programs run during that period?

Files cannot disappear by themselves, either man or a program can do it though...........

kevrus

by xnederlandx
Do the files still appear if you connect remotely?
Tried this last night with my laptop and they were not there using the 'remote control' facility on logmein but when I used 'file manager' on logmein, there they were, so I was able to copy them to USB. Amazing as I still cannot locate them on the desktop PC.
Anyway, I now have several backups in case of another disaster...thanks for all the suggestions. :)