DIPTRACE to VeeCAD

Mycroft2152

From a discussion about using DIPTRACE with a stripboard editor.

Myc:

DIPTRACE doesn't have any strip board design tools -- directly.

I've been playing with DIPTRACE and stripboards lately. With a little creativity, You can set up a 0.1" grid and layout a stripboard, or you can export a netlist from the schematic editor and import it into a stripboard editor like Veecad.

It does work but takes a little extra effort to set up.

Boriz:

I don't mind a little effort, assuming it only needs setting up once, not every time.

I have been thinking of writing a sort of stripboard 'ratsnest' router that does not completely autoroute, but keeps the connections displayed as horizontal tracks and vertical links when the user drags the components around. Manual routing made easy. (This would be my third attempt at a stripboard routing program.

SilentScreamer:

Look into veecad. It looks very good. Then use DIPTRACE for the schematic.

Myc:

Yup, that's the way to do it.

To import into Veecad the exported the netlist from DIPTRACE successfully, You need to create a DIPTRACE component library with exactly the same names as used in Veecad.

Read the naming conventions for Veecad very carefully. I had to change the pin ID's on a few components in DIPTRACE.

You can also set up a 0.1" grid and use 90 degree traces only in DIPTRACE PCB. It will work, but is a bit clunky for stripboards

Myc

Hippy, please fix my typo in the header.

Last edited:

nbw

I wondered what DIOTRACE was LOL. BTW, I got my free upgrade key (thx2Myc) and will plug it in tonight.

boriz

@Mycroft

I have been playing with Diptrace and can't figure out how you did it. Can you give me a brief walkthrough of how to set it up for stripboard.

Thanks.

Mycroft2152

@Mycroft

I have been playing with Diptrace and can't figure out how you did it. Can you give me a brief walkthrough of how to set it up for stripboard.

Thanks.
Boriz,

It has been a while. I'll dig out my notes in the morning. (It's 11:50 PM here on the east cost of the US.

Myc

Is this for stripboard or breadboard use? (hint, hint)

boriz

LOL.

I use both. Stripboard routing would be great, but it's easy enough to modify a stripboard to a breadboard-like layout.

Mycroft2152

Boriz,

I found my notes.

I ran into the same problem when importing a netlist created by DIPTRACE into VEEcad.

It seems that VEEcad has specific requirements for naming components -- pins must have numbers, not letters or names.

Read this very carefully
http://veecad.com/resource/parts/cadsanity.html

Many cad programs, DIPTRACE included, use letters for component pin identification; A for anode, K for cathode.

VEEcad gives an error message when reading non-number pin ID's. Fortunately the error message gives a line number.

The netlist is a simple text file. Import it into a spreadsheet and you can easily find the line number associated with the error message.

The easiest way to fix this is to change the pin names in the DIPTRACE component library. You need to do this only once, and save the new library. It is usually the capacitors and diodes.

Myc