DIPTRACE Breadboard

Mycroft2152

Here is an early test using DIPTRACE to layout a circuit on a Gadget Gangster "half-board" prototyping board.

This can also be used for a breadboard.

Myc

Attachments

Mycroft2152

There are a number of different breadboards out there, with varying amounts of holes.

Post some photos of the bare breadboards and I will make the DIPTRACE templates.

Myc

BCJKiwi

@ Myc
Do you really need us to send you pics?

There are basically two generic layouts - small and large, after that its generally just how small and how large.
Small have a single bus top and bottom, large have a double bus top and bottom, sometimes the bus' arer broken in the middle, sometimes not.

But I guess Manie's Q that you didn't answer is tp simply create a backgound which represents the breadboard then place the components, wires etc on top?

Mycroft2152

BJK,

There are some breadboards that have power rails that are shifted by 0.05" from the component holes.

I ran into this problem earlier with plug in boards.

There are others with dual power buses on each side.

Yes, you need to create a background template, that will not interfere with placing and moving components, and will print.

Myc

manie

Attachments

Mycroft2152

Before I continue posting on DIPTRACE and Breadboards. i want to commend Westaus55 on his efforts with PEBBLE breadboard editor.

PEBBLE is a masterful piece of work, the graphics are phenomenal and it is very easy to use.

But PEBBLE is designed for a different group of end users -- beginners and Manuka and his classroom.

For more advanced users and hobbyists, DIPTRACE offers more functionality with a little more effort. (and its free too!)

The DIPTRACE breadboard toolkit allows:

1. Creating a schematic and then importing that info into the breadboard layout for prototyping(then later using the same schematic, creating a pcb from the same schematic, if desired)

2. Selection of different breadboards, stripboard (veroboard), and [rot typing boards.

3. Printing of actual size templates to lay on the breadboard for ease of building.

4. Comforming all connections on a net.

5. Normal graphic / drawing functions- zoom, print, etc.

6. Easy to create / modify new components. parts, boards.

Again, both PEBBLE and DIPTRACE are excellent programs. Which program you choose, depends on your requirements.

Myc

Mycroft2152

The DIPTRACE Breadboarding Toolkit is a group of parts libraries and a technique for using DIPTRACE to layout breadboards, strip boards or prototyping boards.

Using just the free version of DIPTRACE PCB program, you can select parts, and lay them out on the breadboard. When done you can print an actual size template for placing parts.

Or, more advanced hobbyists, can first draw the schematic and the import the parts directly into the pcb program.

Attached are examples of some the parts in the libraries

Attachments

BCJKiwi

Myc,

Your posts keep referring to a 'Diptrace BreadBoard Toolkit' and there are teasers in the form of PDFs.

Is there actually such a thing as a Bread board toolkit or are you showing us the results of how you have approached breadboard layouts using Diptrace?

If the former, would you be kind enough to point us to it, or, if the latter, perhaps you might be generous enough to collect all the breadboard components and parts created in Diptrace into a lib called BreadBoard (or similar) and post them so we may get started and then others that are interested could add to the libs in a co-operative manner.

Thanks

Mycroft2152

BCJ,

Once they are complete I will post them, just like I did previously for the DIPTRACE/PICAXE library.

There are 4 libraries in the Toolbox, Schematic Components. Schematic Breadboards, PCB Patterns and PCB Breadboards.

These are functional but need to cleaned of my test items.

The other files are a suggested setup of colors, and grid and typical Schematic and PCB layouts.

They are not quite ready for general release, but if contact me off forum, I'll send you the beta version for testing.

I used the early version to create the graphics for my entry in the Gadget Gangster Father's Day Content - Das LEDerman.

For these graphics, I recreated the Gadget Gangster BOSS Board in DIPTRACE.

You can see it here:
http://gadgetgangster.com/working_files/Project_assets/156/howto.pdf

Myc

manie

Myc:
In step 9 you say "E20 - J20" but the layout shows E20 - H20. Am I reading it wrong or is it an error ?

I know it is an old thread, but anyway, I would like to know if this 'Diptrace BreadBoard Toolkit' was/is available. Thank you for reply.

westaust55

This is about the last thread started by mycroft and he did not start another on this topic.

Unfortunately mycroft passed away a few years ago now, so his project may not have reached completion/posting stage.