Design spark 7

the old fart

Hi Guys,

I see that Design Spark 7 has been released.
Code:
h**p://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/designspark-pcb-home-page
Has anyone tried it yet?

Does it support the Picaxe library?

thoughts?

regards

tof

nick12ab

Yes it does, PICAXE Create is included in the installation.

Note that any file saved by a version of DesignSpark won't open in older versions, which is true for previous releases too, not just this one. You would have to have access to version 7 on any computer you want to open the files on.

tony_g

as mentioned it does work with an included picaxe library, this is what i currently use to get pcb's designed and manufactured.

tony

1968neil

Just a note for anyone using the create library.

The 2.1mm DC socket is mirrored and will appear on the underside of a pcb so to get it on the top (correct way round) youll need to place it on the underside in the software (Flip)
I had a 100 pcbs produced before it became apparent.

Regards
Neil

the old fart

Has anyone managed to add home made components to the user library?

I've a 2.5mm stereo pcb socket that I use and would like a quick 'Add component' of it.

At the moment I have to cut and paste from a previous circuit.

TOF

nick12ab

Has anyone managed to add home made components to the user library?
Yes, you first need to have created schematic and PCB symbols for your component (in DesignSpark, open the Library window and click the appropriate buttons), then you can create the component file which links the pins on the schematic and PCB symbols together.

jims

Any comments about your experiences learning SPARK7 vs EAGLE or other programs? I'd like to try making a PC board for one of my projects but it looks pretty daunting. I'd appreciate some feedback. Thank you, JimS

the old fart

Yes, you first need to have created schematic and PCB symbols for your component (in DesignSpark, open the Library window and click the appropriate buttons), then you can create the component file which links the pins on the schematic and PCB symbols together.
Thanks nick12ab,
Been experimenting but not quite got it right yet, need more practice I think.

TOF

the old fart

Any comments about your experiences learning SPARK7 vs EAGLE or other programs? I'd like to try making a PC board for one of my projects but it looks pretty daunting. I'd appreciate some feedback. Thank you, JimS
Hi jims,

I only use S7, once the initial learning curve is over, its easy to produce circuit boards.

TOF

Puuhaaja

Any comments about your experiences learning SPARK7 vs EAGLE or other programs?
When I started to make my own pcb's I tested Kicad, Eagle and Designspark. Designspark was clear winner because it's was so easy start. Nowadays it's even easier because all Picaxe components and parts are installed in advance so you don't need to hassle with part libraries. I never read any Designspark tutorials. I just started to use it. Really easy.

Edit: Thanks for Revolution education that you mentioned Designspark in your software section.

the old fart

Hi Guys,
I'm still struggling with this,
has anyone made an idiots guide?

TOF