Demoted!

techElder

Wow! I just noticed that the forum "demoted" me from Senior Member to Well-Known Member! :D

I don't know what the criterion is for being "well known", but I surely do meet any criterion for being "senior"!! :D

I've only been "demoted" once in my life, and then I changed jobs! :D

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't know what the criterion is for being "well known", but I surely do meet any criterion for being "senior"!!
I don't know the criteria for "well known" or any of the other rankings but I would guess it is based on number of posts, replies, likes, length of membership or some mix of those. And they are probably rather arbitrarily assigned.

As for "senior"; here, as in most other forums, it simply means "higher ranking", having gained a higher position of authority, more experience, knowledge or wisdom, than others. That is commonly used in military service and beyond.

In some quarters "senior" has taken on a more pejorative meaning. That usually arises where ageing is considered as some kind of negative.

Everyone can be assured that "senior" used here is in no way intended to be pejorative and we would encourage everyone not to accept any prejudicial or negative interpretation of the word, not to participate in accepting or promoting such use.

It seems a lot of members here are "senior" in both senses of the word; aged and with experience, knowledge and the wisdom their lives have given them. None should be shamed by either.

lbenson

Don't know if the change is recent, but the system might well not know that the "well-known" techElder is the same as the "Senior Member" TexasClodhopper.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Don't know if the change is recent, but the system might well not know that the "well-known" techElder is the same as the "Senior Member" TexasClodhopper.
I believe the system does know they are one and the same as I was involved in migrating the account, which wasn't so much a migration as changing the name and tags related to the one account.

As much as we might proclaim "I am not a number!", reality usually is that we are a number with a name and other attributes attached.

The ranking change might have been a result of a XenForo change or merely acquiring more 'kudos' however that occurs. The "well known" ranking seems to have been around for a while. I am not sure what the criteria are for any of the rankings and we have never really considered it that important.

techElder

Well, I said it in a nice way. :D "Pejorative" ... Heck, I've never even used that word, but no serious charges intended. :D

Its a slow day, and the forum is a bit boring with the continuous discussion on "GOSUB/GOTO/STACKOVERFLOW". :D

I remember changing my handle here, but I'm purty certain my post count didn't go down, and my "like" count went up! :D I think the new forum just performed a lobotomy on my profile. :D

I think I got DEMOTED! :D (Without pejoritivation, of course! :D)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
As far as I can tell the default XenForo 'user title ladder' is "New Member", "Member", "Active Member" and "Well Known Member", and that's it.

What I suspect has happened is that when members were migrated from the old forum they got assigned a Custom Title according to what it was on the old, hence lbenson is still showing as "Senior Member" above.

What has probably happened is we changed "TexasClodhopper / Senior Member" to "techElder / Senior Member", went through a phase of "techElder / Formerly..." and, when that ended, we cleared the Custom Title and that reverted to showing the default "Well-Known Member" rather than the originally set "Senior Member".

So, not a demotion as such, just a difference in naming at the top of the title ladder, which no one noticed at the time.

If you would like your "Senior Member" back we can set it to that for you.

techElder

Nah, now that I know I am more special than those "seniors", I'll just stick with the title that I've got! :D

Nice to know this all works as planned, though. :D