dell pda

scottie2

can I just use a female to female usb adaptor to hookup my picaxe via the usb cable to my dell pda, and thus use terminal to read sertxd.

Scottie

papaof2

Only if the PDA supports being a USB *master*. Most devices do NOT; they are USB *slave* devices and can NOT control another USB device (such as a USB->serial).

There is a new standard for USB devices that allows a device to be both slave (for sync to a PC) and master (to use USB accessories). I'm not aware of a PDA that has that type of USB port.

Note that this is a *hardware* issue - the device either has master-capable hardware or it does not. If it does not, there is nothing you can do to change it.

Some PDA's have a serial link as well as a USB connection (my IPAQ, for example). If your PDA has serial capability, it can be used directly with the proper cable (and some terminal software).

John

m_pratley

Hi,

I'm not sure if this will help you with your USB to Dell link.

I have a Dell Axim, and have written a maze solving program in C# and run on my Axim. I have purchased an Axim to serail cable from ebay (about £10) and connect to the PICAXE to provide the hardware connection.
This makes the Axim to PICAXE connection very easy.

Hope this helps,

Martin