Debug waiting for data why?!!!

D n T

Im trying to send variables from one 40X2 to another using HOPERF 433mhz TR ttl level transceivers.
Ive tried using both serout/serin code and rfout/rfin code.
Ive tried with and without a qualifier
Ive tried putting a pause 100 after each transmission and then in turn tried putting the receiver to sleep after receiving a transmission until the data had been processed
I have clean 4.95 volts on both units and the HOPERF modules are doing the right thing
Ive tried going with wired before trying wireless.

Ive tried combinations of combinations

BUT every time I download the code the receiver debug is waiting for data.

The code loads but I can never get a debug from the receiver, I have tried changing the position of the debug in the code but no joy.

Too many late nights trying to nut this out is starting to twist my logic, so I need some outside help.

What sort of thing would cause the debug to hang?

westaust55

In the absence of seeing the program code involved,
It seems that the receiver code may be waiting for input (eg via Serin) that is never received so the receiving PICAXE program does not loop and execute the Debug command. Thus no information or updates are seen in the PE window.

Certainly would be worth going with a wired connection until that is proven and then switch to wireless comms.
Instead of Degug, try using the SERTXD command to send some characters/values to the PE window on the PC via the AXE027 cable.
Add SERTXD commands before and after the Serin command and that will help identify if the SerIn command is receiving data from the sending 40X2 part or if it is blocking while waiting forever. Try using the timeout feature to branch and send some other characters if a timeout occurs while Serin is waiting.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The "Waiting for debug" display for the Debug window means it is waiting to receive debug data.

The most likely cause of it not getting that is a DEBUG command is not being executed, the program never gets to it, is hanging or crashing somewhere before that.

Hard to say why that may be without more details of your hardware, circuit and code.