Dead 20x2, any chance to recover?

jmumby

Hi,

I had a few checksum errors to a 20x2 (using a AXE118). I only have power and serial download cable attached and it won't program at all anymore. Anyone have any magic tricks to recover from this?

Thanks

Jason

inglewoodpete

Hi,

I had a few checksum errors to a 20x2 (using a AXE118). I only have power and serial download cable attached and it won't program at all anymore. Anyone have any magic tricks to recover from this?

Thanks

Jason
Describe how the chip is powered. That's a common cause of problems.

I have a 20X2 that programs better without the table/data download (which I don't need) by including the #No_Table directive.

Peter

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It's either dead or not. As long as the verify failed byte is not the same each time then it is much more likely to be the power supply than the chip.

SAborn

Have you tried a simple "Hard Reset" leave the chip power off then click the program button and once the download starts to try to beguin, then switch the power onto the chip.

If that dont work than its a dead chip.

Pauldesign

That chip is still 100% fine, there are endless reasons for the problem and there are endless possible solutions in the forum. Just do a forum search for previous numerous tricks. ;)

jmumby

Soooooo on my way to buying the cat another canary I got another 20x2 and did a swap, no problemo with another chip. I will take the dead one for a walk later to see I can make it feel better.

Dippy

If I were you I would have a Post Mortem.
Have a think to see if it was your handling that could have trashed it.
Be honest with yourself; especially where wiring and powering are concerned.

If you feel your side of things was OK then report it to the supplier.
Don't be scared.
Explain to them that No. 1 was duff but No.2 was fine.
They may offer a refund or replacement.
You don't get if you don't ask....

Do you have a PIC programmer?
You could see if they sent you a blank accidentally...

jmumby

It was working fine. I had it hooked up to a ethernet to serial module and it seemed happy enough. Then it would start programming half way and error. This became more and more frequent until it completely refused. I have had it for a few months and I got it out of the states so it's not really worth the hassle of getting a replacement. The new one seems to work fine.

Dippy

I don't think he means that Westy.

I think he means that it began to behave as though it programmed partially then erred.
i.e. the actual behaviour of partial programming started.

Well, nothing is impossible huh? Reason unknown. Ah well, that's life.

jmumby

I don't think he means that Westy.

I think he means that it began to behave as though it programmed partially then erred.
i.e. the actual behaviour of partial programming started.

Well, nothing is impossible huh? Reason unknown. Ah well, that's life.
Yeah, what he said

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It was working fine. I had it hooked up to a ethernet to serial module and it seemed happy enough. Then it would start programming half way and error. This became more and more frequent until it completely refused.
It may be worth reviewing and checking your circuit and wiring. This is similar behaviour to when I destroyed an 18X having connected an output pin to a pot wiper put in the wrong place. Download was working fine and then progressively got worse.

SAborn

I destroyed an 18X having connected an output pin to a pot wiper put in the wrong place.
And i thought only fools like myself done those sorts of things.

Its nice to know others have a box of dead chips too.

Its always the expensive ones, that you don't have a replacement on hand for either.