Datalogger AXE110P diplay kit

Aureli

I want to connect one display to Datalogger kit AXE110P, according the data sheet, I need the AX033 Serial LCD screen but it is out of stock. Tell me which I can use to connect one display kit without problems ?

Eng460

I recently purchased the AXE 134Y serial 20 x 4 OLED display, which is a little more expensive, but suitable alternative if you can manage to spring for it. The 4 lines offer many more possibilities and the display is excellent.

It is not difficult to work out the changes to the commands to put the display information in a suitable position on the bigger display. They are very similar to the commands for the two line display and the connections are the same, the information you need is on the data sheet that came with the kit.

The other option is to run the data logger without a display, and use some code modifications to retrieve the data to your computer later. The display is not necessary for data logging, but nice to have if you also want to see the measurements displayed as they are collected. It could also help you cue the steps for data retrieval with a few extra program lines, so definitely nice to have. This is how I used my data logger kit some time ago, and it was not too hard to understand the commands to use it in this manner. I have forgotten the detail, it might be more about getting to understand the program on the required steps to output to the computer later, rather than requiring any changes.

Eng460

johnlong

Hi
if the output is serial you could look at the nextion range they use simple serial commands

oracacle

The learning curve for the nextion can be quite steep, but can bring so much functionality without adding load to the picaxe itself.

If you just want to connect a display nextion probably isn't the answer, while it does run on serial, the format isn't as simple as the picaxe displays. But if you can overcome that then they are well worth the effort

Aureli

I just want to connect with an easy display. I have seen that it's possible to connect it with serial or I2C communication. I will connect it in serial configuration. If I connect it by serial I can't see to real data clock ( RTC), but with i2C, it's possible to do it. In my case, how is only to see te value, it is enough.
Right now, the store is closed for the Covid19. I hope buy it as soon as possible and try it. Maybe when it's open again I can to buy the LCD display with I2C.
Thank for your information, bye bye.

johnlong

Hi
The ds1307 is an i2c device not serial so the nextion would not posse a problem
If you look into the nextion it is not as scarry as people think for your needs its as simple as open up the nextion editor putting 4 text blocks in define
the font size you want with the font generator rename the text blocks(area) t0,t1,t2,t3 delete the where it says new text in text options add your chosen font size and thats it. The following will then run use the B2 and B5 on the 18m2 hserin and hserout pins or what ever chip you are using

Code:
#picaxe 18m2
symbol loop_time=b1
symbol temp=b2
symbol light=b3
symbol sec=b4
symbol mins=b5
symbol hour=b6
symbol day=b7
symbol date=b8
symbol month=b9
symbol year=b10
symbol control=$10
symbol QT=34'34=" in ascii netion requires the commands to be sent in ("t1.txt="") the picaxe does not allow "" so suplliment it with 34 the ascii value
#Define ToBin(bcd) bcd / 16 * $FA + bcd 'Hippys coding for converting BCD to binary
#Define ToBcd(bin) bin / 10 * 6 + bin 'Hippys coding for converting binary to BCD
ent:
    HI2CSETUP I2CMASTER, %11010000, I2CSLOW, I2CBYTE'ds1307 i2c address
    hsersetup   B9600_8, %0'setup for hser commands see manual not look for background
    mins=0:hour=0:day=0:date=0:month=0:year=0'add your own time and dates in  BCD
    gosub set_clock
 hserout 0,("page0",$FF,$FF,$FF)
    do
    do
        hi2cin 1,(mins)
        pause 50
        loop until loop_time<>mins'gives a 1 minute cycle for reads
    gosub display
    loop

set_clock:
        sec=30
        sec=ToBcd(sec)
        mins = ToBcd(mins)
        hour= ToBcd(hour)
        day = ToBcd(day)
        date = ToBcd(date)
        month = ToBcd(month)
        year = ToBcd(year)
        hi2cout 0,(sec,mins,hour,day,date,month,year,control)
        pause 50
        hi2cin 0, (b11,b12,b13,b14,b15,month,year)
if b11<>mins or  b12<>hour or b13<>day or b14<>date then
    hserout 0, ("t1.txt=",QT,"ERROR"):gosub QTF'check wiring power cycle
    endif
    return
display:
        hi2cin 0,(sec,mins,hour,day,date,month,year)
        loop_time=mins
         hour = ToBin(hour)
           mins = ToBin(mins)
             sec = ToBin(sec)
         date=ToBin(date)
         month=ToBin(month)
         year=ToBin(year)
         hserout 0, ("t0.txt=",QT,#date,"/",#month,"/","20",#year)
         gosub QTF
        if hour>12 then:hour=hour-12:endif            
        if hour<10 and mins<10 then
        hserout 0, ("t1.txt=",QT,"0",#hour,":","0",#mins) 'rtc clock hour
        elseif hour<10 and mins>=10 then
        hserout 0, ("t1.txt=",QT,"0",#hour,":",#mins) 'rtc clock hour
        elseif hour>=10 and mins<10 then
        hserout 0, ("t1.txt=",QT,#hour,":","0",#mins)
        endif
        gosub QTF
        readtemp C.0,temp
        readadc C.1,light
        'save to eeprom at this point set the i2c address then read, write
        hserout 0, ("t2.txt=",QT,"Temprature= ",#temp):gosub QTF
        hserout 0, ("t3.txt=",QT,"Light value= ",#light):gosub QTF
        'reset the clock HI2CSETUP I2CMASTER, %11010000, I2CSLOW, I2CBYTE
        pause 20
        return           
QTF:
        hserout 0,(QT,$ff,$ff,$ff)
        return
much simplier than an lcd and offers a much greater scope for future projects
regards john

Last edited:

oracacle

while that appears simple to those who a little more experience

Code:
serout b.7 n2400, (254,192,"Hello World")  'go to first line and write "Hello World"
this seems to me that it would be a lot simpler than opening a separate editing programme, programming the display, then having to transfer all the information box addresses to the picaxe programme.
Then combine this with the fact the data logging kit is being used meaning that there will have to be modifications made. The Hserout pin is already being used for the I2C write portect

johnlong

Hi
just use serial out not hser
there are alot more commands to use with an lcd clear screen new line ect
that why i stopped using lcd infavour of the nextion also you have the ability to
create some nice screen images which add a new dimension to your project
simple 4 wire attachment ascii commands not to mention the touch screen function
which can be interfaced to alter variables within the picaxe and turn things on and off
lots of scope
regards john

oracacle

I am well aware of the nextions ability, I used as a full UI, that handled maths and all sorts while the picaxe was off doing other things and only responded to an interrupt on the serial port

Aureli

Hello,
I bought a datalogger AXE110 last May'2020 and found the led1 on DS1307 backwards. Be careful and check this Led and electronic board.
Fortunately, I read in the forum that sometime passed this issue and checked this led, now it's working.
Best regards