Coverting Picaxe Basic code to Assembly...

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The BAS800 programmer is still available but the Basic to Assembler converter is not a universal panacea and may not support what you need. It is designed for educational puropses only and supports only a limited range of PICAXE commands and functions.

Alternative programmers are not supported by the Programming Editor and the Basic to Assembler converter is only available when the BAS800 programmer is connected.

Last edited:

demonicpicaxeguy

The program in question (200 bytes) basically flashes 4 LEDs (using pin commands) repeatedly, and uses 5 variables, lots of gotos, and does a little reading/writing to memory (writes/reads a number in 1 byte). This should convert fairly easy... No? I've heard that some commands do not translate well... such as serial I/O... This correct? Do interrupts translate OK?

I can not seem find a local dealer here in the US for the programmer... then again, I'm also having a hard time finding it on Rev-Eds webstore... any help (i.e. link) appreciated.

serial i/o converts fine,interupts might be interesting,
if it's not for a school project, i'd be more than happy to convert it for you to ASM , i've got several compilers at my diposal including one of my own making

if want you can post the code and what pic it's intended and we'll see how the compiler goes

Last edited:

tomapowa

serial i/o converts fine,interupts might be interesting,
Hmm... reason I ask about serial in/out is because I had read the following on the Picaxe Technical FAQ (main page):

"Can I see the assembler code that is downloaded into the PICAXE?

If you own a Revolution Serial PIC Programmer, you can convert PICAXE BASIC programs into assembler code, to program blank PICs or to just learn how assembler code works by 'disassembly'. However some of the more complex commands (e.g. serin) are not supported, and the assembler code program generated is optimised for sequential learning (not optimised for compactness as with the PICAXE system) and so the code is not identical to that downloaded to the PICAXE."

I'll see if I can get that code to you and see how those compilers of yours handle it (need to make a few tweaks). I like the advertised feature of the Picaxe software where it adds a comment (orig Basic code) to each translated Assembly code. Does your compilers do this too... this certianly would help dechiper the translation between Basic and Assembly.

WHITEKNUCKLES

In post No6 I was checking that I could offer a simplistic version of that made by demonicpicaxeguy.
Could that post be moved to the software section?

Dave

andrew_qld

I have actually been looking around lately as more and more of the applications I am building are verging on "commercial" use (ie for work). As the Rev Ed compiler has a "Non Commercial Use" license (and I can't find out where to pay for it if you do want to use it for commercial purposes) I have even been looking at the SX chip from the dark side.

I started mucking around with PIC ASM but I think RF engineers were really born to use basic...

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Commercial use of Programming Editor is allowed

the Rev Ed compiler has a "Non Commercial Use" license (and I can't find out where to pay for it if you do want to use it for commercial purposes)
There is no non-commercial use license in the way you have interpreted it. It is not as entirely clear as it could be but Rev-Ed have clarified what the license means -

What you cannot do is distribute the Programming Editor with your product.

What you can do is use the Programming Editor to develop the code which goes inside the PICAXE which is part of your product.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7734&highlight=commercial+programming+editor
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=597&highlight=commercial+product