Communications with 28X2 and updating Kit120 Oscilloscope

KDH

I am trying to update the Oscilloscope Kit120 ver 1.3 to the 28X2 as per the instructions on the related website.

I am getting a “hardware not connected” error when I try to download the firmware using the axe027 cable.

I have checked the modifications on the Oscilloscope board carefully (replacing the 28X1 and the resonator , adding a 22K resistor between pins 8 and 9 of the rs-232 socket and changing the jumper to DL) with no success.

I have then built, on vero-board, a minimal circuit as per the manual and still can’t get communication with the 28X2. I also tried installing the older 28X1 on the board and was also unable to read the chip firmware version, it giving the same error.

The test for (PC to picaxe) works as documented pin 6 toggles between 0 and 5V when clicking the “LED” both on my own board and on the KIT120 board but still no success with download.

I have tried the installation on a different PC with no success.

I am starting to suspect the receive section of the axe027 cable. How can I check the cable?

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of all USB drivers and programming software.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The easiest way to check the AXE027 is to un-plug the AXE027 cable, link the shield and ring of the jack being careful not to short to the tip (0V), then use Terminal under Programming Editor or AXEpad to see if what's typed is echoed back. Linking the plug shield and ring can be done with wire, a croc-lead or a simple jack socket circuit ...

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16306

Last edited:

KDH

Connected Tx and Rx together on Axe027 and as I suspected no receive!!

It is a new cable which I am using for the first time. Are there any settings for the driver anywhere? I downloaded and reinstalled the latest drivers yesterday.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Did you take the drivers form the Rev-Ed site ? See Software & Drivers link at top right of page; there can sometimes be weird problems with drivers from other sources.

There are various settings for drivers under Device Manager but Programming Editor overrides most of them to ensure what happens is what is meant to happen. There's no option to disable receive.

More for information than an 'oh, that's your problem!' response - Which OS are you using, 32 or 64-bit ?

KDH

Yes drivers are from the Rev-ed site.

I am using Win-XP 32 bit with SP3

Is there a diagnostic program I can run against the Axe027 to check it out? As I said it is a brand new cable I received from Rev-Ed which I am attempting to use for the first time. Returning it for testing will be a pain as I live in Cape Town!

Last edited: