Colour Sensing Mood Light

MSP1

I built this mood light as a birthday present for Susan, the art student daughter of a friend. Its novel feature is the ability to sense and attempt to reproduce the colour of the surface it is standing on. Despite its relative simplicity, it performs quite well when placed on magazine covers or any of the other colourful materials which litter an art students work area.

The device uses red, green and blue colour sensors based on wide band photo-diodes and an array of high brightness, tricolour LEDs. A Picaxe 14M is used to control the system and to provide a number of other functions.

A full description is contained in the PDF document listed below. This includes photographs, the full circuit, a software listing and details of the mechanical construction of the mood light. Please forgive the rather poor photographs included in this document, but it is the nature of presents that you eventually have to present them! This meant that I no longer had the hardware available to take decent pictures by the time I got around to creating this documentation.

View attachment Picaxe Mood Light.pdf

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Its novel feature is the ability to sense and attempt to reproduce the colour of the surface it is standing on.
That's a really neat idea; would have great potential as a translucent Chameleon shaped unit !