coll pc mod completion

craig008

i have finnished my pc mod thanks to you guys, it looks well cool, just gotta do a load of hardware upgrades soon. i have uploaded a couple of pictues sorry if there a bit shocking its hard to snap in the dark
________
Herbal grinder

Attachments

Last edited:

craig008

both if u like, shutter time was a bit long to hold still for + real bad quality had to take picture with old camera for the low res to fit on the uplaod.
glad you like tha mod tho
________
Herbal Store

Last edited:

craig008

static isnt much of an issue with most modern cpus' providing you do not handle the proccesors too much they do not need anti static bands any longer, also seeing as everthing has its own ground static is drained strait back to the psu and discharged through that.

the main job of that fans in my case is just promote air flow, half suck in while the others blow out which keeps temp down to around 25 degrees c.
________
Ford Sierra

Last edited:

boriz

25’c? I guess you are not overclocking. I’m running my AMD 64 X2 DUAL 4200+ at 2.5gig. (spec is 2.2gig) with no voltage change. It’s running at 27’c now, but after a while on M$ Flight sim X, it can get up to 50’c. I have ‘improved’ the cooling a little using an extra fan, but it only makes a small difference (maybe 3 to 5 ‘c).

Nice PC mod. Reminds me a little of ORAC :)

Brietech

PC bragging thread! I have a super cool Dell Dimension 4600 I got out of the trash (plus some upgrades): 2.4 Ghz P4, 2GB of RAM, 800 GB hard drive space, 1 (*sigh*) serial port. I also have 1 extremely useful (if not aesthetically pleasing) casemod, where I drilled holes in the front of of an empty drive bay, and have "banana plugs" sticking out which run to the 5V rail on my PSU (it's my picaxe power supply!).

/sadly, no LED's =(

BeanieBots

Ah.. thanks for the tip.
What about blue LEDs. Do they help to scare off those blue screens of death?
I guess "cool blue" lights in the fan unit significantly help to "cool" things down.

Dippy

Quite right BB.
I've fitted some Carlos Fandangos to mine. Filled it full of LN2. 50 TB hard disk array. Runs on Sinclair Basic O/S.

A slightly serious question though: PCs are quite electrically and RFy noisy. Do plastic cases make it worse? Do any/all have a conductive filler?

BB, I worry that blue photons may impart higher energies within PC and actually warm things up or produce neutrons - the high capture cross-sections of carbon based material may increase overall radiation too.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

Maybe there is another reason for all those blue LEDs.
They have high UV content. Maybe that's used to 'disperse/neutralise' the free electrons on the plastic case:) Then again, maybe not:(
I assume they are CE marked, so something must be going on.

craig008

all my fans are ce marked, all five of them, LEDs are for fun - if you can why not?? boriz what on earth are you doing to your machine, you need to increase ur air flow to keep the temps down a little, just so you know at the mo i am running AMD x2 6000+ (3.1Gnz standard), 4gb 800mhz RAM, ATI hd2600xt GPU, creative x-fi platinum and 650 watt psu and dam this machine is fast - it can play 3/4 HD videos at a time and not jump or skip on any of the videos and only a 0.5 degrees c increase in temps when fully loaded with games and what ever else i might be running

boriz to help increase air flow in ur PC get some rounf IDE cables i you still use them, or even cheaper fold then in half a couple of times, also check the direction that your fans run in - you should have half sucking air in and half blowing air out (i have front fan blowing in and back blowing out, top blowing out and side sucking in)

quick vid of my pc here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R41gP8odo84
________
Easy vape

Last edited:

jodicalhon

I have an old Hewlett Packard Pavilion in my robot-building/circuit bending space that I picked up during the last hard rubbish collection in my area. I got rid of the Windows 98 that was on it (plus some old tax records that belonged to the previous owner!) and loaded XP. It has a 300MHz processor, and I'm trying to run XP with 128M of RAM. It's great, you can actually see the screen slowly redraw!

Still, once the Programming Editor is up and running everything works fine. :)

craig008

dunno but its not as much as you may think, we only use ??5 electric every two weeks and my computer is on 24/7, as for carbon foot print mine is still small compared to some people i know. what most people do not realize is what i make with burning elcric i save by using very litttle petrol by riding two wheels or walking/cycling and saving power else where like not have a speperate radio, i listen to it on my pc :) and seeing as my pc is the only thing running and noting is on standby i am saving alot of power:p

just found online psu calculator and think 337w, not too bad i dont think yeh it could be less but that no fun
________
List of Honda engines specifications

Last edited: