Coil winder

mikeallen87nz

Hi, I'm new to this site and PICAXEs.

I'm upgrading my coil winder with an automatic wire feed. Up until now I have simply fed the wire on manually, but for many coils and transformers this is simply not accurate enough. I need to feed in some cases very fine wire on in neat layers and for this I need electronic control.

So I've coverted a lathe for use as a winder. Its got a leadscrew that positions the wire feed to which I now drive with a stepping motor. The stepping motor has to turn at a ratio of the lathes main spindle. This ration is dependant of the wire guage and needs to be programmable. The main spindle also drives a rotary encoder.

I've got the encoder on Input 0 and the stepping motor on Output 0 and need to prgram the PICAXE so I can divide the input pulses by the programmed ratio to achive output pulses. The output pulses must be in phase with the input pulses - so as the main spindle (and rotary encoder) speed alters, so will the wire feed (and stepper motor).

I'm considering the SETTIMER COUNT command. Is this the most appropriate command?

eclectic

Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

Can you please re-post your question in the
Active Forum area

where it will gain a much larger audience.

e