Christmas Lights 2016

Bill.b

Hi and marry Christmas to all

Here is the latest video of my light display.

The carnival is the main attraction that all the local children love.

The new addition is the DRONE ride. This is controlled by a picaxe 28X2 as the main controller with a 14m2 controlling the
operation of the seat rotation.
Also there are four PIC32MX170s controlling the LCD and strip LED lights.

All up there are three high torque 12v motors and four worm drive motors for the seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrBXMeq9stg&t=3s

Shematics of the Drone

Drone Basel3..jpg
Drone control..jpg

The sign is also new, consisting of a 64 X 32 led panel driven by a PIC32mx470 64pin controller running mmbasic+

Bill

darb1972

Hello Bill

That's a fantastic display. Awesome stuff. Inspires one to get creative with PICAXE!!! I gather this is a collection of years of work, otherwise one would imagine that you started working on this during the 2015 Boxing Day test cricket match!!! Wow. I'm really impressed by the work that's gone into this "little" project. Is the entire thing on your property or did you rope the neighbours into gain the huge display? I realy like that big LED Panel. Where did you get that from? Does the 28X2 control the PIC32MX470 via I2C or in any other manner, or do this PICs "free-run"?

I have trouble getting the time and inspiration to finish my of my basic projects let alone tackling something this big. Well done!!!

Merry Christmas to you too Bill.

Regards,
Brad

xtech007

Great Job!

This is an amazing display, great job!
I suspect this took some time to build!
Do you have a tutorial for guidance?
Or how to start ?

lbenson

"AND ONE PICAXE TO RULE THEM ALL"

Well, maybe more than one. Terrific job. Do you save up all year to pay the electric bill (though not as bad as in days of yore with incandescents)?

On your Drone schematic, I saw the retractor/extender motor. What kind of mechanics did you use to perform that extension and retraction?

(Notice that the "N" in "DRONE" on the lifter arm is backwards?)

darb1972

Nice work on the Drone lift Bill.

Good to see the neighbours also get on board. You must get heaps of visitors down your street of an evening. You should contact the local news (probably NBN in your case) as your very clever display and your charity deserve a bit of free publicity.

Bill.b

@ Darb
You should contact the local news (probably NBN in your case) as your very clever display and your charity deserve a bit of free publicity
NBN news did a segment on our lights two years ago.

Thank for all the comments.

@Darb
You must get heaps of visitors down your street of an evening.
The children of all ages (1 to 90) love the carnival, their parents have trouble getting then to leave.

At the last count the display consists of 26 picaxe chips ranging for 8M2s to 28X2s

Bill

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

Now I really do have a reason to believe in Santa. Well done Bill.

(I think the 'N' in DRONE only looks reversed if you are viewing it from the northern hemisphere. It seems to look OK from this side :):))

lbenson

IP--the curved "DRONE" looks right (here in the upper hemisphere (depending upon perspective))--the one on the arm appears backwards to me.

Bill.B.xmas2.jpg

But I wouldn't want to nitpick about this wonderful project.