Chi030 + I2c

rosg86

Hello,

I am with a problem that I cannot resolve.

I have a CHI030 and I want to connect it to a I2C device. Ok, so what I do is connect the output 4 to the device's SCL pin and the output 1 to the device's SDA pin.

It was supposed to work, but it is not.

So, now I am going to be specific.

I am using the SD21 board:
http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/sd21tech.htm

I checked and there is a 4k7 resistor between the SCL and +5V and also the 4k7 resistor between SDA and +5V in this board (SD21).

I am connecting the two boards this way:

The battery goes in the SD21, then I connect the +5V and GND from the I2C connectors of the SD21 in the power terminal of my CHI030. Also I connect the SD21's SCL with the CHI030's output 4, and the SDA with the CHI030's output 1.

Then I try to make it work, but nothing. What am I doing wrong?

In the program I begin with:

Code:
i2cslave $c2, i2cslow, i2cbyte
Please, someone?

westaust55

Hi rosg86,

Firstly welcome to the PICAXE forum.

A few pointers:

1. quote: "with the CHI030's output 4, and the SDA with the CHI030's output 1."
You will need to connect directly to the PICAXE outputs pins for the i2c signals,
not through the Darlington driver IC to which the terminals on the edge of the CHI030 board are conencted.

2. The 0V rail of the two boards must be connected together as a reference line for the i2c clock and data signals. - seems you have that covered

Last edited:

rosg86

Ok!
So, tomorrow I'm gonna try that!

I was thinking that that Darlington was the problem, but the GND thing I did not know.

Thanks.

Tomorrow I'll say if it worked!

westaust55

Members here never have a problem to help those who are willing to give it a try for themselves.
Sure there are stumbling blocks and someone will generally be able to guide you.