Can't remember, and can't find, answer to this code problem

wapo54001

It has been years since I last programmed extensively, and now I'm in a new project and find I've forgotten just about everything about Picaxe programming, so I'm relearning as I go along.

Step_Direction is the symbol for C.2 -- it works fine in the first IF .. ELSE snippet, but I can't figure out how to use the Symbol when checking the status of the pin. Right now I'm using the work around pinC.2 = 1, I'd like to keep things consistent and use the "Step_Direction" and "HIGH" symbols instead.

How do I rewrite the "IF pinC.2 = 1" using the SYMBOLS "Step_Direction" and "HIGH"?

Code:
SYMBOL Step_Direction = C.2 

IF CmdCode = "J" THEN

HIGH Step_Direction

ELSE

LOW Step_Direction

ENDIF

IF pinC.2 = 1 THEN

Count_Total = Count_Total + Count_Actual MAX 10000

ELSE

Count_Total = Count_Total - Count_Actual MIN 1

ENDIF

techElder

You could use two different symbols:

Step_Direction_IN = pinC.2
Step_Direction_OUT = C.2

I think. :D

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
'outpinC.2' would be the best option to determine what the state of the output pin is.

But I would personally have used a bit variable to set the state and then use that in an output routine to set the actual pin level and determine how it had been set.

wapo54001

hippy, I originally used a bit variable and ran into some kind of programming problem and changed my approach, but I'll revisit that and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks to techelder also for his suggestion.

Edit - tried the bit storage again, got it to work this time, very simple solution, thanks again.

Last edited: