Can not install current editor version ???

RexLan

Can not install current editor version --- SOLVED

I down loaded the current editor and tried to install. Gets to the point of looking for a disk or source for program editor.msi. Turns out that there are several sources of this file in the windows installation folder which were not removed apparently by previous patches, etc.

I point to the files in the source box during install and it stops, saying the file is not valid. I have tried it for each of the Program Editor.MSI files on my cpu.

How to install this?

+++++++++++++

Update:

I had archived a copy of Microsoft's Install Cleanup Application which they don't offer any more. I ran it and it removed all instances of Programming Editor.

I also had to delete a file in the Windows/system32 directory named srcvw4.dll manually

Then the new editor version installed normally.

Last edited:

MartinM57

Have you unistalled EVERY prevous version via Control Panel Add/Remove Programs - like what it says on the download page?

RexLan

I can not remove the older version in control panel add/remove ... says the msi file is not valid for the install. Oddly enough, there is just one installation showing there.

Until I can get rid of the old version I can not install the new one ....?

May need to do it through the registry but not sure where it is located

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not quite sure how Windows has got itself into such a state but it's not common for the installation process to ask for any .msi file. Are you installing by running BAS805.EXE ? If so it may be that you have a corrupt or incomplete download.

According to my Windows Explorer BAS805.EXE for 5.3.1 should be 61.4 MB / 62,908 KB / 64,417,183 bytes

RexLan

I'm not quite sure how Windows has got itself into such a state but it's not common for the installation process to ask for any .msi file. Are you installing by running BAS805.EXE ? If so it may be that you have a corrupt or incomplete download.

According to my Windows Explorer BAS805.EXE for 5.3.1 should be 61.4 MB / 62,908 KB / 64,417,183 bytes
Yes I am and that is what I have. I just downloaded it today. I am using XP pro and the machine is very stable otherwise.

Without the ability to uninstall the current version this one will not install. Is there a patch or work-around?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Not sure what the workround will be and we'll have to find what the problem is first.

If you go into Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs, select Programming Editor, click on "Click here for support information"; what does it say the version is ? While there it might be worth clicking on Repair to see if that fixes things.

westaust55

Darn,

I just installed PE V5.3.0 on 4 PC's last weekend before going "bush" for a couple of days, and return to find V5.3.1 is now available :rolleyes:

But at least the REV command simulation is now fixed

Last edited: