Buck driver in a dip or sip?

Katzenjammer

Does anyone know of a buck ic that will accept li-ion/-poly voltage (14.8 nominal), provide at least 1.0A max current, and is available in a socketable dip or sip? Right now I'm looking at the ZXLD1360, but it's only available in surface mount, which doesn't appeal.

Mycroft2152

Unfortunaely DIP packaging is slowly being phased out for commercial uses. Surface mount saves "real estate" on the pcb and is better suited to automated asssemlby.

DIPS will be around for a while, but many new chips are only made in surface mount packages.

There are a number of inexpensive adapter boards that lt you use smd's on a breadbard.

Surface mount devices are useable at the hobbyist level.

gengis

Simple Switcher

National Semiconductor has a range of regulators for buck and boost applications called "simple switchers." They are in their fourth generations of these devices. Packages run the whole gamut of sizes.

LM2574N-ADJ One such part available in a 8 pin dip for 1 amp
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2574.html

Check out their design tools too - you plug in the V in V out and other parameters and it calculates values

http://www.national.com/appinfo/power/0,1768,383,00.html Link to the design software

The Jameco catalog has the parts and packages along with a description of the part - this one is $1.29 US

There are lots of parts in dip packages for buck and boost regulators but it does take some hunting to find them

Katzenjammer

(Belated) thanks to you both. It's nice to know about SMD adapters, though I'd have thought it'd be more to the point to make a snap-together dip-looking carrier, since daughter boards still require hand soldering (unless one happens to have a wave setup in their cellar, of course :) )

It's also comforting to know that there are at least some buck drivers still avail in dip, though I might have a bugger of a time finding one to suit.

Mycroft2152

SMD soldering in a toaster oven or on a hot plate works pretty well. Special solder paste is needed.

Sparkfun has a good write up on the toaster oven method.