Breadbord add-ons

russbow

A few months ago I bought my first Picaxe - a 28x1 board. Reading the manuals, I noticed that many of the axes used the same pins for supply, earth, ser in and ser out. Great, I'll build a universal jobbie like my pic programmer !!

Thank goodness, not to be. First attempt was a stripboard design for a 28x and an 18x, bringing all the pins out to headers also sockets for the darlington array and a motor driver. While we're at it, might want to flash a couple of LEDs, so add them and a couple of buttons. Screwed to a piece of ply, along with a couple of breadboards.

It wasn't long before I decided that separate boards would be useful for the various Axes. I made plug in modules that fitted the breadboard power rails for the 18,20 and 28 pin chips, and modded a 8 pin board to fit.

So, as the original stripboard became redundant, a rebuild was required.

The new one has the array and motor driver as before with the addition of a resistor chip for servo's, a peizo, an LCD and serial driver chip, a 10K pot for ADC and an audio amp, 1/4 watt 8 pin deviceand an eeprom.

I didn't like the modded 08 board so I incorporated that as well.

The supply is a well regulated wall job giveing 12 volts. This gave me the chance to bring 12v to the board. Note the red links near the 2803 and L293 chips to switch from 5.0v to 12v. A 5.0v regulator feeds the rest.

Attachments

russbow

Couple more pics

I think it was a mistake to put a peizo on the board, the amp is better. Also the ADC pot is not really practical, perhaps a pre-set would have been better on the main board.

All works well, and makes developing / learning a joy.

Biggest mistake ?? Think I've put this on the wrong forum

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
@ russbow : Which forum would you like it in ? I'll move it and tidy up any loose ends.

cactusface

Multi-prog board....

Hi Russbow,
Like the look of your programming boards. I tried something like it here's a picture. This just works with the 08 & 18 chips, has 3 input buttons, a reset, DIL LEDs on the outputs and a 10 pin header (wonderful things) for extended outputs. Even my buggy-bot is built on Veroboard.

Is that a sort of weather station I see in the background?? on one of your images Often thought I would like to do one of these, even in the old Z80 days, still have the home grown Z80 system! (Hex keyboard and display, 100% machine code) somewhere.

Regards
Cactusface

Attachments