Bread board - NAND Memory

demonicpicaxeguy

hi all, me ... again

as some people here will know all too well if they have tried to get any NAND memory at a decent non-highway robbery price without meeting an MOQ it's almost easier to walk on water,

so i'm interested to know how many people here would really like to be able to use the samsung Nand Memory on breadboards with their picaxe's ,pic ,avrs, and basic stamps with a simple pcb that plugs into a single line on a bread board with only the required pins not the whole 48 pins on the tsop package

for the benefit of those who don't know they are in a tsop package and they have a fine pitch which is too small for a large percentage of hobbyists to solder,
that and the problems of getting them in the first place without meeting MOQ's of 960 a lot of people give up and suffer with smaller memmory

how many people would in interested in such a thing if it were availble for a realistic price?

moxhamj

I agree tsops are 'orrible. I don't much care for surface mount either. I like DIP packages!

Do you mean nand memory as in sram or nand memory as in flash like in an sd card, or nand flash memory in a dedicated chip?

How much memory do you need and will there be multilple read/writes or only a few writes?

And which picaxe(s)?

demonicpicaxeguy

I agree tsops are 'orrible. I don't much care for surface mount either. I like DIP packages!

Do you mean nand memory as in sram or nand memory as in flash like in an sd card, or nand flash memory in a dedicated chip?

How much memory do you need and will there be multilple read/writes or only a few writes?

And which picaxe(s)?
i prefer Dip components or at least Soic as well but... how many components are out there that the average hobbyist would like to use and is probably very capable of using but can't because of an irritating package issue
at the end of the day DIP isn't going to disappear any time soon but i think everyone will agree that it's not getting any more popular either

when i say nand memory i mean as in a samsung nand chip on a pcb with a line of pins that can plug into a DIP compatible breadboard the line of pins would corespond to the all the usefull pins and leave out the N/C pins
the only downside is being a parallel interface you would really only be using the 40x* picaxe's for it, unless i do a simple serial go between chip which shouldn't be very difficult to do

the smasung chip i have my eye on at the moment is the K9F1208U0C-PCB00
it's a 64Mb chip it's a very small chip but big enough for a decent sized datalogger, it's also only production priced at 1.54 - 1.80Usd after the conversion and i get them into the country i'm looking at around $6 per chip
after that goes onto a pcb and the pins added for plugging into a board we're talking anywhere $9 to $12 for 64Mb worth a data storage
the 24lc256 is availble here for abot $6.95AUd from jaycar and there is only 256k of space on there

i'll declare a comercial interest here as i've recently been able make an arrangement with a hongkong supplier where i don't have to meet an MOQ of 960pcs, so i can now get the stuff into the country without a long lead time as well (1 to 1.5 weeks)

Dippy

Its not coming from the same people that sold you the dodgey SD cards is it?
:)

Seriously though, thanks but no.

demonicpicaxeguy

Its not coming from the same people that sold you the dodgey SD cards is it?
:)

Seriously though, thanks but no.
i think the whole interface behind and sd card is ill-thought out and over-engineered there are too many manufacturers who have gone about supporting the SD and MMC standards their own ways and have left somthing that should be quite usable quite unusable

i will say this about sd cards and the implementation of it's spi interface

out of all the spi/i2c devices that i've sucessfully interfaced to a pic with very little or no problems which include vrious ADC's from TI and microchip, NOR memory from spansion, the enc28j60 - i got the interface working but never ended up hooking it up an ethernet switch and transformer.

sd cards have given me the most grief over things like power supply, clock frequency, pin capacitance..... etc
the datasheets say one thing but in reality practical figures are a bit different

xd cards which use the nand standard interface, are much easier to interface to, within 1 day of making the breakout board for one i had a pic18f4550 reading and writing to it very reliably,

only two problems with them
the space a suitable connector takes up on a pcb is roughly what could be 2X nand chips
and cost vs a nand chip is in some cases 4 to 8 times higher