Blank Pic programming

Puuhaaja

Sometimes I have dreamed of an idea to start programming pic microcontrollers with c language. If I remember right there was a possibility to clear picaxe chip's hardware memory in Axepad. After that chip can't be programmed using Picaxe basic.

So...my question is: Is it possible to program pic microcontrollers with same testboard and same Axe 027 cable as normal picaxe chips? Of course same program couldn't be used.

Thanks in advance!

srnet

You do need a PIC programmer.

However once you have a PIC programmer you can load the PIC with a serial bootloader which then allows you to use the AXE027 for programming.

inglewoodpete

I have gone down both roads. I bought a PICKIT3 about 18 months ago. After brushing up on my C language, I can now program both PICAXEs and "raw" PICs. While I find the speed of the "raw" PIC great (the PIC32 at 80MHz is amazing), the development time of an application takes several times that of one for a PICAXE.

I have found that I still do most of my projects with PICAXEs. They are more than adequate for most applications - it is a rare project where I need more speed than a 64MHz PICAXE or multiple background serial or i2c ports.

And I use my AXE027 cable for serial communication with both breeds of microcontroller!

SAborn

I concur with IWP, most of my quick projects use a Picaxe and even some commercial project designs use a picaxe, simply because its a numbers game to effort required to achieve a result, what little difference a $1.00 or so makes to the end product compared to ease of programming, if the cost difference makes or breaks the project costing than you are in the wrong business.

Albeit i often use a pic chip as a slave to a picaxe chip for a dedicated function, this allows for easy programing and greater access to other functions on a budget level.

The picaxe makes a simple master controller and pics can make super cheap slaves with other peoples code you just need to dump into the PIC.

mrburnette

@Puuhaaja:

There is a "common" thread in the responses: that is, to program a naked PIC does require you to have some advance knowledge or experience. You will need to know the C language, assembler, OR something like an advance BASIC dialog to match the compiler you use. To summarize: you will use a different editor that PE and will program in a different language or BASIC dialect (significantly different.) You will then compile your program, link to any required libraries, and create an object file (such as a HEX file) that is then downloaded into the PIC. The same process applies to programming a naked ATmel chip, too. You will need to own OR have access to a PIC programmer at least to get the bootloader into the PIC but after that (depending on the capabilities of the IDE/tools0 you will likely be able to use serial or USB-serial to download programs to the PIC.

The advantages are speed and cost (if a large number of units are to be used.) Additionally, you learn some mainstream skills in doing this; however the learning curve can be difficult. Any cost savings in the hobby-world will be offset by investments in compilers and programmers and likely you will wind up on the wrong end of the economic equation. The decision should not be made lightly and without significant commitment on your part. If you are inexperienced and still wish to move forward (a good thing), please investigate local geek groups in your area and find one that you are comfortable joining. You will need this support group since questions and directions are not easily handled via forums such as this one.

- Ray

geoff07

I also do C programming on native PICs and Basic on Picaxes. And I concur with what has been said. Picaxe every time so long as it can do the job, which is probably 95% of the time in my case.

To use C I run MPLABX with the Hitech C compiler under Ubuntu, and at the same time run the Microchip Pickit 2 setup under XP under Virtualbox under Ubuntu. This detects new hex files for downloading as they share the same file space. All of this is free except XP (for which I have a spare license) and the Pickit2 (these days I might have bought a Pickit3). The PIC learning curve is HUGE especially if you want to use e.g. i2c or the other fancy peripherals in the larger chips (all done for you with Picaxe), not to mention the C learning curve if you are new to C.

PE will also run under the virtual XP, but VSM won't (even with my special virtual machine Labcenter license). Maybe PE6 will run under native Ubuntu/Wine, that would be nice.

To use the Pickit2 you need to install the ICSP header and reserve the right pins on the chip, but once done it is as easy as using the Picaxe download cable.

Last edited:

Puuhaaja

Thanks for everyone. I'm really amazed how much information I got. At the moment I'm thinking that before starting to test C language I need to know Picaxe basic language well because it's a good ground theory when chancing to other programming language. Anyways I have friend which have somekind of Pic programming gadget and I can set Pic bootloader with that. If I understood everythin right I can continue programming with usb to 3.5mm stereojack after Pic bootloader programming.

At the moment I'm using Ubuntu based mint and of course there's WmWare installed-> plentty of softwares to use.