Best Solder and flux to use

rmeldo

Hi,

A quick question please.

After 10 years of soldering i am about to run out of solder wire and flux.
For the wire I have been using 60/40 Lead, 22AWG (0.7mm) wire with flux inside (Roisin? the reel doesn't say).
For the the flux Ihave beenusing Roisin paste.

CLeaning the board from the rosin flux used to be a problem but I found a good technique and now I can get the boards spotless.

So I could buy the same but I thought I would ask for recommendations, since it is such a rare purchase.

I was thinking of going thinner (0.5 mm) this time to male it easier to solder small ICs, but what about the flux type? (I found a thread on the forum dealing mainly with wire alloys but no tmuch about flux). A search on RS presents a long list of flux types.

Colophony (Rosin) Free
Colophony Free- ORL0
Halide Activated Resin
Resin
Rosin
Rosin Based
Water Soluble
Water Wash

Any recommendations please? What criteria do you use to make your choice?

Thanks
RIccardo

techElder

This is what I’ve used in mostly electronic repair businesses, but occasionally a manufactured product. Certainly good for hobby use.

IMG_3640.jpgIMG_3639.jpg
P.S. These are a couple of spools I have in my toolbox; just in case.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I was thinking of going thinner (0.5 mm) this time to male it easier to solder small ICs, but what about the flux type?
I have always used "MulticoreTM" solder, 5 core with flux, 1.2mm, have never used additional flux.

The problem I have with thinner solder is I just end up using more when soldering on strip-board and PCB's. Rarely using other than 0.1" pitch components I have never found any benefit with thinner.

If you do go for thin stuff I would therefore say you should consider thicker as well, 1.2mm.

grim_reaper

I agree with Hippy - I also use Multicore™ and have kept two sizes on my desk for the last few years (no idea what size - one thin, one thick!).
The thick one definitely becomes useful for anything over 3mm in size - like motor terminals, connectors, etc.

The only other thing I have is a soldering iron tip cleaner - can't remember the brand - flux and solder dust in a pot - which I only occasionally use to wet the tip of the iron. I tend to use a wet sponge more often than not - and the reason I know this is because I finally wore out the one that came with the soldering station a few weeks ago!

Pongo

I mostly use 22swg (0.7mm) Multicore™ and I have a lifetime supply :) It works well for me for 0.1" pitch and smaller. I do have some bigger sizes too but rarely need them.

premelec

I like Ersin multicore .... 63/37 or 60/40 - haven't gone lead free... mostly smaller diameter - it's easier to not put on too much solder - fine solder and tip certainly help with SMD... I chase solder bridges with wooden toothpicks... [the smoking wood helps part the solder...].