best picaxe kit for beginners

fkuk

ive done some programming but it was using RIDE and programming using assembler language i was using AT89S8252 but only in simulation mode

i want to know how different is programming using picaxe

and what is the best begginer kit available

Dippy

Hi.

You will get tons of replies to this.
Everyone has their own preference as a starter.

What is your budget?
Do you have a first project in mind?

Older Forumites may suggest an 08M but, and just my opinion, I would start with something a little bigger and better so that you can use most/all of the available commands.

However, if your level of electronics experience is limited I wouldn't suggesting going for the biggest just in case you pop it due to mishandling.

You would probably want to programme in BASIC.
Have a look at Manual 2 and study the commands.
You can get this on-line PICAXE Manual dropdown.

To get a summary of the PICAXE variants look in Manual 1.
This will show the pinouts, the simple circuits for downloading code from PC to PICAXE, and some examples on how to connect to the Real World.

May I strongly suggest one thing.
Many, many people have trouble at first with the download circuit.
I suggest getting the cheapest project board for the PICAXE you choose.
The PCB will have a download circuit on it.
It could save hours compared to using breadboard.

If your PC only has a USB connection then you will need a USB-Serial adaptor.
May I suggest a second thing.
I have seen numerous and prolonged threads because people have been 'economising' and buying a.n.other brand of adaptor.
Buy the AXE027 and install the drivers available from Rev-Ed.
The extra quid you spend on it could save hours of posting and grief. Cheaper than Just For Men.

If you are feeling flush then consider the AXE091 Development Board.
You will be able to do quite a lot of prototyping with that.
Not cheap but could save hours of faffing around.

Enjoy.

Oh, get yourself at least 2 spare PICAXEs... just in case.
And a bag of resistors too - e.g. 4K7, 10K, 1k0, 470R
And a few capacitors as well. Whilst the manual doesn't seem to mention it, it is good idea to have a 100nF (or so) ceramic on the PICAXE power pins.

BeanieBots

Don't want to repeat everything Dippy has said but DO GET THE AXE027 download cable and at least one ready made board with a download socket.
Not getting a PICAXE up and running within seconds can be the make or break of your affair with it.

As mentioned, many have bought cheap eBay cables and spent days on here trying to get it work and end up buying the AXE027 anyway.
Have a look at the starter kits. They have everything you need.

Andrew Cowan

I'd go with the AXE027 and an AXE091. Or use an AXE090 instead of the AXE091 if you're 'feeling the credit crunch'.

A

Tim036

I'd go with the AXE027 and an AXE091. Or use an AXE090 instead of the AXE091 if you're 'feeling the credit crunch'.

A
I chose the Pic IC part number AXE015X which is really a 16F88 because I'd used a 16F84 a lot and knew it was a very good all-rounder.

They are quite difficult to kill but it is possible so the advice to buy 2 was very sound.

I had a horrendous start but this Forum helped me every step of the way and soon I had a major PC to Dev board hardware failure sorted.

This Forum is as good as it gets on Internet.

:)

Tim

slimplynth

Sod the credit crunch, Unemployed days would be great fun with an AXE091/AXE027 combo.

Civilisation is only three hot meals away from revolution

BeanieBots

There's an example of a trap not to fall into.

The 16F88 is a raw PIC part number.
It is NOT a PICAXE.
A PICAXE 18X is 16F88 PIC with the bootloader program already installed.
You cannot use raw PICs with the PICAXE system.

eclectic

I chose the Pic IC part number AXE015X which is really a 16F88 because I'd used a 16F84 a lot and knew it was a very good all-rounder.

snip

Tim
Seriously, wouldn't it just be easier to say

Picaxe 18X.

It would save lots of "Yer Whaa??"

e

fkuk

ive looked at the manuals and i have noticed that it is really different programing picake from assembler and the processor

and i think i will be doing that in college too so i dont want to cloud my mind with extra stuff

i know this if off the topic but does anyone know a good website for atmel AT89S8252 and the 8051 architecture

manuka

FKUK: Check assorted breadboard & old serial laptop approaches => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz I've probably introduced 1000s to micros this way, having found the clunky soldering skills of many newbies are best refined AFTER a micro introduction.

The best micro approach depends on your age/experiences/skills/resources/budget/time & your ultimate intentions.

The PICAXE family is/was intended for educational micro work- it's to their great credit that they're been widely applied in the real world too. Overall their use is SO EASY (compared with most other micros) that you'll near weep with relief, especially when reading sensors such as the DS18B20. I've had folks tell me they did more in 30 minutes with a 08M & breadboard than they'd otherwise managed in 30 days... Stan

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
ive looked at the manuals and i have noticed that it is really different programing picake from assembler and the processor
The PICAXE range is programmed using a form of Basic which is quite different to using Assembler and generally far easier to code and debug; you can concentrate on making your program do what it is meant to with little worry about how the microcontroller has to do what you want it to.

Yes, it is a different and another language to learn but quite a simple one which is fairly easy to pick up and use.

Only you can decide what is best for yourself; choose a PICAXE or an alternative. A lot depends upon what you are hoping to do, why and when. Quite a few forum members use the PICAXE and alternative systems, I think most would agree that it is often far easier to get a PICAXE project completed than using those other systems, in fact, that's one of the reasons they choose to use the PICAXE.

Tim036

FKUK: Check assorted breadboard & old serial laptop approaches => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz

The PICAXE family is/was intended for educational micro work- it's to their great credit that they're been widely applied in the real world too. Overall their use is SO EASY (compared with most other micros) that you'll near weep with relief, especially when reading sensors such as the DS18B20. I've had folks tell me they did more in 30 minutes with a 08M & breadboard than they'd otherwise managed in 30 days... Stan
That is so true.

If the budget is there for a Pic with enough memory - what can be achieved in not much time is breath taking. There are no shortage of hazzards out there on alternative systems that costs days or even weeks to fix.

:)

Tim

Dippy

"ive looked at the manuals and i have noticed that it is really different programing picake from assembler and the processor"
- yes, BASIC is very different from ASM. Never heard it called picaKe before :)

"and i think i will be doing that in college too so i dont want to cloud my mind with extra stuff "
- doing what in college too? BASIC? So, you want to stick to ASM right now? I would have thought that switching between Atmel ASM and PIC ASM would cloud the old noggin even more. BASIC is easy and PICAXE BASIC is easy and quick to pogramme.

"i know this if off the topic but does anyone know a good website for atmel AT89S8252 and the 8051 architecture"
- no, sorry. Not my 'thing'. Isn't there a Forum link from an Atmel website? Have a Google for Atmel Forums or something imaginative along those lines. (Eclectic might do it for you...)

What do you get.

HI,

I was thinking of getting the AXO91 (USB is only model available). It has been a long time since I used a micro and I thought this might get me going again with ease. However i was surprised it's $168.00 with a very small breadboard area!!! I didn't have much troubble making my own download circuits with stereo connectors and 08 and 14 picaxe .

So I think I might swerve off that idea. Thats a lot of breadboards and stereo connectors. But still Im interested in hearing any opinions in favour of the idea.
This time round I am thinking of using the X2 parts. Last experiments I did were with a propellor but I think I'd like to continue on with picaxe.
ta.

Last edited:

Haku

A piCake is what you have to celebrate when you get your first Picaxe project running :D

I started on the 18X kit, I got the normal serial cable version because I thought the cheapie Chinese USB-serial adaptor would do the job on my laptop - couldn't even get the darn drivers to even work! so I ordered the official AXE027 USB-serial Picaxe cable when I next ordered a bunch of picaxes'n'chips'n'bits and all's well.

I did get to program the 18X kit when it arrived because my main PC has a serial port, so so pleased it's so easy to program, especially as I haven't progressed much further in programming languages since the days when I taught myself BBC Basic at school ;)

inglewoodpete

Have a look at the AXE092

Experientia_docet
My introduction to PICAXE was via the AXE092 "School's Experimenter". I was in my 40's when I got it, so you don't have to be school age:) You can download the datasheet from this website.

In its favour are that it is self-contained: LEDs, LDR and beeper are all on-board. It is available from MicroZed (Australia). The serial cable version under A$40 + P&P and the USB version is under A$70 + P&P

When I expanded to a breadboard and LCD module, I added the H1 and H2 0.1" header strips available cheaply from Altronics or Jarcar. Breadboads are also available very economically in Oz from the same suppliers.

A word of warning: I have found PICAXEs to be addictive;)

Peter

Andrew Cowan

The Axe091 is a lot more than a small breadboards - I'd you just want that, have a look at the axe090 (as I said in my first post).

A