Beginner needs help

Microfreak

Hy Folks.
I´m Steffen from Austria and I like to learn to handle the picaxe 18x for a project. I want to realize an old projekt with Hardware Relais with the Picaxe. I searched here in the forum an try to find any information in the basic command but I think I need a little help during my startup.

How can I realize my problems:

I have one switch on input 0 and one Output. When I press the switch at the Input the Output should go into high level and when I press the switch again the Output should go back into low. I realized this but i have one Problem. When I press the button the Output must go to high even if I hold the button. The Programm has to run and work other steps or commands. Then, when I release the button the program must go on and work the other commands. When I press the Button again the Output has to go to low level until I releas the Button again and go th high when I press the Button and so on. The min problem is that the Programm must run in the background.

Its an electronical impuls relay I like to build whith the option to run the rest of the Program without any break.

I hope you understand what I mean. I hope sombody has an idea.

Regards, Steffen

Sorry about my bad english :p

BeanieBots

For other commands to run while still checking the status of an input, you need to use interrupts. Not the easiest programming method to use but have a look at the "setint" command. If it's not clear what to do, ask again.

inglewoodpete

Solution without interrupts

Steffen, It is not essential to use interrupts in your programme. For a beginner, interrupts can be quite a challenge! What you requested could be performed in a programme like the one I have outlined below. The important thing to remember when writing code for this solution is to ensure that the code does not get 'stuck' in a loop in the subroutine. I have used code like this to avoid using interrupts.

-Peter

Code:
Symbol	PushButton = Pin0
Symbol	LED = 2

Low LED			'Initialise the LED output to Low (Off) state
Main:	Do Until PushButton = 1
		GoSub DoStuff	'Do the normal work
	Loop
	'Pin 1 has is now High (Active)
	Toggle LED		'Invert the state of the output (Hi to Lo or Lo to Hi)
	Do Until PushButton = 0
		GoSub DoStuff	'Do the normal work while the pushbutton remains pressed
	Loop
	'Pin 1 has is now Low (Off)
	Goto Main

DoStuff:	'Subroutine that does the normal background processing tasks
		'The code here would typically check inputs, variables, perform calculations and set
		'  outputs as required by the process.
		'You must ensure that processing does not get 'trapped' in a loop or delay (eg pause)
		'  statement within this subroutine.

Return