Be afraid, very afraid !

Paix

Coming to a building site near you and throwing blocks around. Just remember, belonging to Google, it probably knows where you live . . . :)

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Now Atlas can do gymnastics !.
And better than I can - Citius, Altius, Fortius

It is all quite impressive. Not least that it doesn't break a leg or fall apart on landing. And it presumably is quite some weight.

Technoman

Really impressive! If you've seen it only few years ago connected with cables and just walking , it's even more impressive!

Buzby

... Not least that it doesn't break a leg or fall apart on landing. ...
Admittedly BD are not showing us the times Atlas comes a cropper, like Spot did, but there is no doubt that the technology is progressing faster than biological evolution.

Combined with the advances in AI, it won't be long before there is a workforce of human-shaped machines capable of doing physical work that only humans can do today, like bricklaying or decorating a room.

I see them first as assistants, like hod-carriers or doing the measuring and estimating, but soon their bosses will be able to send the machines to work autonomously. While the current concern is losing factory/warehouse jobs to 'robots', I think the biggest threat/opportunity is in services, like hotel housekeeping or bin men.

When I was a kid the future was full of robots. As I grew older I thought it would never happen, but now I'm sure it will !.

inglewoodpete

Combined with the advances in AI, it won't be long before there is a workforce of human-shaped machines capable of doing physical work that only humans can do today, like bricklaying or decorating a room.
Oh, good: at last! I'm happy to host some prototype testing in my front loungeroom. Mrs IP has been nagging me to paint it for the last two years. :rolleyes:

techElder

Yeah, and the euphoria produced by the first robot to arrive will be like my thoughts when my first grandson became self-propelled. He soon discovered my evil thoughts on putting him to work sweeping could also be called work from his point of view. The intelligent programming in his brain took complete control of his actions and forced him to lay about. How smart will these robots be? :D

geezer88

And better than I can - Citius, Altius, Fortius

It is all quite impressive. Not least that it doesn't break a leg or fall apart on landing. And it presumably is quite some weight.
Don't forget the non-lethal crowd dispersing robot: Fartius