Battery charger issue

sniper887

I'm getting strange behavior with this NiMH battery charger circuit where it will start charge even with no battery inserted. It worked fine for months but a couple days ago started with this problem. I haven't yet removed the circuit board from the charger to debug and see what the ADC is doing, but I've seen similar problems and had it work by simply replacing the Picaxe. The supply voltage is supposed to be 5V but I have seen about 5.2V from the power supply. Either that is causing damage over time, or perhaps the battery positive connection to the ADC pin needs something to remove possible spikes. I have the 22K resistor there for that purpose, but that may not be working the way I think.

Code:
Code:
init:
setfreq m32
symbol battery = c.1
symbol currentsns = c.4
symbol pwmoutput = c.2
symbol led = c.0

symbol current = w0
symbol currentcount = w1
symbol currentsum = w2
symbol dutycyc = w3
symbol voltcount = w4
symbol volts = w5
symbol voltavg1 = w6
symbol voltsum = w7
symbol peakvolt = w8
symbol deltapeak = w9
symbol modulus = w10
symbol highvolt = w11
dutycyc = 0
current = 0
currentcount = 0
currentsum = 0
voltcount = 0
volts = 0
voltavg1 = 0
voltsum = 0
peakvolt = 0
deltapeak = 0

pwmout pwmoutput, 200, dutycyc 
low led

toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000
toggle led
pause 1000

pause 16000

start:
gosub battdetect

main:

for voltcount = 0 to 199

modulus = voltcount // 5
if modulus = 0 then
	toggle led
endif

current = 0
gosub getcurrent

if current < 125 then
	dutycyc = dutycyc + 1 max 900
endif

if current > 125 then
	dutycyc = dutycyc min 1 - 1
endif

pwmduty pwmoutput, dutycyc

next voltcount

gosub getvolts
if volts < 100 then init
if volts > peakvolt then
	peakvolt = volts
	deltapeak = 0
endif

if volts <= peakvolt then
	inc deltapeak
endif
if deltapeak > 5 then endchg

debug
goto main

getcurrent:
fvrsetup FVR2048 ; set to 2.048V
adcconfig %011
current = 0
currentcount = 0
currentsum = 0
for currentcount = 0 to 49
pause 7
current = 0
readadc10 currentsns, current

currentsum = current + currentsum
next currentcount

current = currentsum / 50

return

getvolts:
fvrsetup FVR4096 ; set to 4.096V
adcconfig %011

volts = 0
voltsum = 0
voltavg1 = 0
pwmduty pwmoutput, 0

pause 8000

for voltavg1 = 0 to 19

readadc10 battery, volts 

voltsum = volts + voltsum
next voltavg1

volts = voltsum / 20

return

battdetect:
dutycyc = 500

gosub getvolts

if volts < 100 then start
dutycyc = 0
return

endchg:
pwmduty pwmoutput, 5

high led
  pause 8000
  gosub getvolts

if volts < 100 then 
  	goto init
  endif
pwmduty pwmoutput, 0
pause 24000
debug
goto endchg
08m2 charger buck topo p mosfet copy.jpg

techElder

You didn't say enough about the power supply to make any conclusions, but a well regulated supply shouldn't have a problem staying closer to 5VDC.

A few points about the code.

1. There appears to be a trap at "If deltapeak > 5 then endchg".
2. The subroutine "battdetect:" has a goto "start" exit without encountering the return for that subroutine. My good friends on this forum say that is not a problem, but it is a sloppy exit from the routine.
3. IMHO I would change the initial "toggle led : pause 1000" to "for i = 1 to 12 : toggle led : pause 1000 : next i" . Maybe that's just me.
4. IMHO I would do a lot of indenting. That's how I saw item #1 and #2.
5. IMHO I would add a compiler directive for the PICAXE to use. We know its an 08 from the schematic, but ...

Perhaps these mean nothing to the normal operation of the code.

SAborn

More important what is the battery voltage?

You could add a zener diode to help protect the picaxe from over voltage on its input, but not a sure method, perhaps better to use a voltage divider and work with less resolution on the ADC input, but a broarder range of input voltage to suit.

sniper887

The power supply is a 5v 6a switching type. The project has four circuits to charge 4 AA batteries, so it needed a fairly large power supply. Since each circuit charges a single cell, the voltage tops off at about 1.5 volts.

AllyCat

Hi,

5.2 volts is unlikely to cause any harm to, nor even a transient malfunction of, a PICaxe. But.....

Due to the location of diode D2, PinC.4 is measuring the average current through the FET (not the battery). Furthermore, I can't see what limits the current through the FET (or the battery), except for pure optimism that the software is operating as desired :confused:

Conversely, PinC.1 is measuring the battery voltage + a "random" element, depending on the phase of the PWM and the current in the FET. Averaging that "random" voltage over (apparently) 20 cycles is still likely to leave a random element, so I'm not surprised it the software occasionally does something "unexpected".

But sorry, with no comments in the code (except for two obvious lines), I really can't be bothered to try to work out what the program is actually doing, let alone what it was intended to do.

Cheers, Alan.

sniper887

The current is controlled purely in the code, in a closed loop(measures the current and either increments or decrements the PWM duty as needed). There is no hardware current limiting, and that's why I used the buck topology for this circuit. You brought up a good point though, about the current measurement measuring average current through the MOSFET and not purely through the battery. Might be good to change that. As for voltage measurement I shut off the PWM right before reading the voltage, so really I didn't need the averaging routine for that. I would consider hardware filtering to deal with the ripple if I was measuring voltage with the PWM on.

Hi,

5.2 volts is unlikely to cause any harm to, nor even a transient malfunction of, a PICaxe. But.....

Due to the location of diode D2, PinC.4 is measuring the average current through the FET (not the battery). Furthermore, I can't see what limits the current through the FET (or the battery), except for pure optimism that the software is operating as desired :confused:

Conversely, PinC.1 is measuring the battery voltage + a "random" element, depending on the phase of the PWM and the current in the FET. Averaging that "random" voltage over (apparently) 20 cycles is still likely to leave a random element, so I'm not surprised it the software occasionally does something "unexpected".

But sorry, with no comments in the code (except for two obvious lines), I really can't be bothered to try to work out what the program is actually doing, let alone what it was intended to do.

Cheers, Alan.

AllyCat

Hi,

As for voltage measurement I shut off the PWM right before reading the voltage,....
Ah yes, I was thrown by the (presumably) spurious PWM updating here:
Code:
battdetect:
dutycyc = 500
gosub getvolts
It appears that you are measuring the battery voltage to 4 mV resolution and terminating the charge when it falls by 5 steps (i.e. ~20 mV). However, the normal figure for a single NiMH cell appears to be about -5mV, so I wouldn't expect the termination to be very reliable. Good data is hard to find, but this web link says:

An NiMH charger must be able to detect a voltage drop of around 5mV per cell. Therefore to reliably detect such a small voltage drop, sufficient noise filtering must be introduced into the NiMH charger to ensure that spurious pickup and other noise does not trigger the end of charge.

So you may need rather better hardware, but you could try intentionally introducing a small amount of analogue noise ("dither") into the voltage measurement and then accumulate a large number of readings to give a few extra bits of resolution. It's a method I've used with some success in my PICaxe battery capacity tester.

However, reliably charging NiMH cells just seems too complex for a simple (PICaxe) program. For example see Battery University or Microchip AN1384.

Cheers, Alan.

sniper887

Hi,

Ah yes, I was thrown by the (presumably) spurious PWM updating here:
Code:
battdetect:
dutycyc = 500
gosub getvolts
It appears that you are measuring the battery voltage to 4 mV resolution and terminating the charge when it falls by 5 steps (i.e. ~20 mV). However, the normal figure for a single NiMH cell appears to be about -5mV, so I wouldn't expect the termination to be very reliable. Good data is hard to find, but this web link says:

An NiMH charger must be able to detect a voltage drop of around 5mV per cell. Therefore to reliably detect such a small voltage drop, sufficient noise filtering must be introduced into the NiMH charger to ensure that spurious pickup and other noise does not trigger the end of charge.

So you may need rather better hardware, but you could try intentionally introducing a small amount of analogue noise ("dither") into the voltage measurement and then accumulate a large number of readings to give a few extra bits of resolution. It's a method I've used with some success in my PICaxe battery capacity tester.

However, reliably charging NiMH cells just seems too complex for a simple (PICaxe) program. For example see Battery University or Microchip AN1384.

Cheers, Alan.
Just to clarify, the charge termination happens when the battery voltage has dropped by a step or more for 6 cycles. It's not looking for the total of 5 steps. Still I will look into the dithering thing, and the links you sent me (thank you for those by the way)

sniper887

I had the wrong schematic and code since I have two designs of the charger (low-side-switch and high-side-switch). I reprogrammed the Picaxe and it works properly now. The difference is the circuit was actually the low-side-switch design.

The code that works:
Code:
init:
setfreq m32
;define pins
symbol lowbattery = c.1
symbol highbattery = c.4
symbol pwmoutput = c.2
symbol led = c.0
;define variables
symbol current = w0
symbol currentcount = w1